• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Concertina that plays like accordion?

A

accordian

Don’t spose any of you guys know of a concertina that plays like a accordion

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
isn't it called a "duet concertina" ?

I think it has low notes left and high notes right side.

xocd

Reaction score
One difference from accordions is that duet concertinas do not have pre-made chords; they have individual notes and, as in a piano, you have to build the chords from scratch.

G

Geronimo

There are also C system bandonions. Since the whole point of a bandonion is to be a Chemnitzer concertina with a more versatile but contorted fingering system, calling those comparatively new instruments C system bandonion rather than C system Chemnitzer/concertina is more of a marketing choice than anything else.

Cf this link by Harry Geuns.

TomBR

Site Supporter
Reaction score
accordian post_id=54487 time=1516217118 user_id=2458 said:
What attracts you to the idea, what makes it interesting?
T

A

accordian

TomBR post_id=54493 time=1516222209 user_id=323 said:
What attracts you to the idea, what makes it interesting?
T

Well I saw a cheminster concertina and tried looking for one but can’t find one from what I saw you can play polka’s and all sorts and well I’m still looking but haven’t seen any

JeffJetton

Reaction score

If it played like an accordion it wouldnt be a concertina.

A

accordian

JeffJetton post_id=54496 time=1516226541 user_id=1774 said:

while true its just with being able to play polkas id like to try this instrument as well. id also like to try playing songs I play on accordion on one.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JeffJetton post_id=54496 time=1516226541 user_id=1774 said:

What makes an instrument a concertina? (Its almost like the older what is and isnt a bayan)
A concertina has a very specific construction and keyboard layout, but also a specific sound.
I once saw a video of a concertina that had the construction and layout but inside it had accordion reeds and it clearly did not have the concertina sound. On the other hand I can imagine that one can construct something that looks more like an accordion but has concertina reeds, and it would sound more like a concertina. But could it then be considered a concertina?
The c-griff bandoneons that I have seen, tried and heard all sound like a bandoneon because they have the construction and the reed type of a bandoneon, just a different keyboard layout. So I guess they can be called true bandoneons. For instance, Richard Galliano plays a c-griff bandoneon but you have to watch him press the keys to know.

G

Geronimo

debra post_id=54501 time=1516261703 user_id=605 said:
The c-griff bandoneons that I have seen, tried and heard all sound like a bandoneon because they have the construction and the reed type of a bandoneon, just a different keyboard layout. So I guess they can be called true bandoneons. For instance, Richard Galliano plays a c-griff bandoneon but you have to watch him press the keys to know.
Huh. On this video the layout sure looks like a stock bandonion, but the proximity of buttons he uses for scales and phrases indeed suggests otherwise. Ill just assume he didnt grab a diatonic just for the sake of a more impressive playback take (which this clearly is): I doubt hed be able to keep the face as straight as he does then. The sound is a bit more level than one expects though.

Here is a video from a Bandonion with Rheinische Lage and its obvious that the fingering goes much more all over the place even when playing scale-like stuff.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Geronimo post_id=54502 time=1516267235 user_id=2623 said:
Huh. On this video the layout sure looks like a stock bandonion, but the proximity of buttons he uses for scales and phrases indeed suggests otherwise. ...

It looks deceivingly like a stock bandoneon but no, it really is a C-griff one. A C-griff player recognizes the fingering immediately.

A

accordian

are these instruments still being made? (chemnitzer and bandonians)

G

Geronimo

accordian post_id=54506 time=1516274976 user_id=2458 said:
Bandonions definitely yes (though by individual makers rather than factories I think). Dont know whether there is much of a market for new Chemnitzers, though.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Geronimo post_id=54507 time=1516277671 user_id=2623 said:
accordian post_id=54506 time=1516274976 user_id=2458 said:
Bandonions definitely yes (though by individual makers rather than factories I think). Dont know whether there is much of a market for new Chemnitzers, though.

Bandoneons are still being made by factories as well. Pigini and Victoria for instance make them. Maybe not in many different keyboard layouts, but definitely in C-griff (where the three first rows are true C-griff and the other rows are special).

xocd

Reaction score
One typically finds a couple of Chemnitzers on Ebay.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are many quality used Chemnitzer's for sale in the US.
If you wish one send me a PM.

A

accordian

JIM D. post_id=54535 time=1516329157 user_id=63 said:
There are many quality used Chemnitzers for sale in the US.
If you wish one send me a PM.

thanks for that although
not quite at the moment
thanks for the offer
though