• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cleaning an accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben_H

It makes sense to me to give the keys a gentle wipe down with a soft cloth after playing, but is there anything else I should be doing regularly, to avoid storing up problems for the future?

I would recommend regular playing to keep the "innards " nice and fresh.
The soft cloth is of course the best. It's amszing how much dirt etc comes off us as we play.
A dust cloth to cover it if you leave it out.
I've heard some use one of those hand held vacuum cleaners one in a while softly between keys and grill but I'm not sure its' that useful.

anything done that keeps dust and grime away is good - if often kept in its case i like to keep out of case covered in towel or dust cover to air regularly too

obviously this is all subject to normal cleaning etiquette of keeping water off it and good storage conditions etc -

The accordion I play most is always left out because it is played every day, but covered with a soft cloth when not in use. I have never yet cleaned an accordion but I would think a moist cloth should be sufficient unless its pretty bad in which case the experts would be able to advise. Some time ago I bought a little kit containing two little bottles, a cloth and instructions on eBay for whitening the keys that yellow with age, though I have never used it. I dont know the name of it but its got a label underneath in German that says Vorratsbox flach m. CV. Alfa GmbH Werner-Von Iemens-Str 5 65582 Diez. Whatever that means.

Attachments

• Astor Piazzolla accordion Libertango.pdf
    579.8 KB · Views: 34
I recommend looking between the bellows folds occasionally, especially the top side, and cleaning out any dust or fluff with a soft dry brush. As a repairer I'm constantly amazed and sometimes revolted by the junk I find in there. :shock:

I always wondered why there`s almost always tons of fluff in the top side of the bellows of old accordions (Melodeons too) - almost as if it used to be the "correct thing" years ago to leave accordions on their side with the straps undone for months on end ? .

Ben_H said:
It makes sense to me to give the keys a gentle wipe down with a soft cloth after playing, but is there anything else I should be doing regularly, to avoid storing up problems for the future?
Cut out smoking, get plenty of exercise and try to cut down on bacon butties. Oh and play the accordion regularly, too.. :)

I wouldn't necessarily advise this to others but I do it - occasionally I set the vacuum on 'light'; attach the brush attachment & carefully do the bellows folds, keys and other crevices.

Those small rechargeable hand vacuums for cars would be good for that.

Soulsaver said:
I wouldnt necessarily advise this to others but I do it - occasionally I set the vacuum on light; attach the brush attachment & carefully do the bellows folds, keys and other crevices.

ive done that - nervous at times of developing hand tremble and causing damage tho

i also wondered about using air pressure spray (the kind you get in an aerosol to clean pc keyboards etc) and tried it but the worry is it creates moisture

(incidentally this was banned from being in used in a bank i worked at once as a lady was cleaning some electronic uquip. when it exploded out at her causing some harm - prior to that it was used not sparingly by some to keep machinery clean etc)

An 'air duster'. Yes I've used them on my PC and other projects - good idea to switch them off first...and leave them off for any droplets to evaporate. I prefer to vac (with a good filter) rather than blow dust out of accordions if possible, after removing reeds, rather than breath in 50 year old dust blown into the air. I'd use em for places the vac isn't geting to tho' that wouldn't be harmed.

Good job Jarvo isn't around or I'm sure he'd be making some comment about the 'other crevices'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back