• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Chinese Manufactured Accordion Model List

Many thanks Jim - added in; and added well deserved magnanimous approbation on post1 :tup:

Startone - sold by Thomanns; looks to be Chinese make - but they kind of 'imply' made in Germany.
Got the Parrot look to it, IMO. I've emailed them for confirmation.

Yes Ed; Startone's are a China product. One of the brand names I missed on my list.

Is "Gallini" a Chinese make or just made in China for a European manufacturer?

The quality has been pretty good, but I have seen a drop off in the last 2 years , and the prices have doubled in the last 10 years.
As I understand it the factory in Germany was shuttered last year, this was the QC point for a lot of the stuff out of China.[/quote]

I know that the Bravo and Amica lines are made in China, but on Hohners website, they specifically state that the Basso, Gola, Atlantic, Genius, and Morino lines are all made in Germany. I suspect they have a few variations made in Italy, but from what Hohner says, theyre alive and well in Germany.

Serenelli, am I right? Old ones are Italian, name was bought or stolen by a Chinese factory, but that could be history too. Mainly known because Serenellini is anxious to avoid confusion.

Hi Donn Y when I was doing the list I had Serenelli as a suspect in my mind, too - but when I googled it, the only results were clearly Italian.
However, now with a bit more of a look I find
http://www.brodericksmusicwarehouse.com/accordionconcertina-13-c.asp
which certainly looks Chinese. Serenelli was a Castelfidardo maker from the 30s until 1963, so the name looks a hijack now.

You must understand these Chinese firms producing accordions simply sell these accordions to (1) dealers (2) music studios and (3) individuals with enough money to purchase these China products in quantity and apply their own brand name. In the old accordion site most of the original posters here belonged to might remember, I was scolded for posting these dealers advertising China accordions as a quality German or Italian made accordion as simply consumer fraud. Well not to offend current dealers of these China products that fail to omit their products are made in China. Well, their not really committing consumer fraud, but just telling A Little White Lie . And for you music lovers , there was a great old tune that said Its a sin tell a lie and in the middle of the tune the lyrics refer to - never never tell a little white lie. ---

Soulsaver said:
which certainly looks Chinese.

You can find several melnet posters asserting that they are in fact Chinese, I think its a sure thing. Whether the name was licensed in any way, dont know, but I guess that doesnt matter here. Interesting that theyre still on the market, not here in the US though I think.

Yes; These brand's are alive in the US and more to surface. The practice of importing Italian accordions and applying your own badge was very popular in the old "Golden Age Of Accordions" And as history always repeat's itself this practice is now back with China imports. If I can get myself some free time tomorrow I will post just how easily anyone can import Chinese accordions of all styles and apply their own badge.

Two more to add -- "Elane" -- and -- "Starwave"

The quality has been pretty good, but I have seen a drop off in the last 2 years , and the prices have doubled in the last 10 years.
As I understand it the factory in Germany was shuttered last year, this was the QC point for a lot of the stuff out of China.[/quote]

I suspect most Hohner accordion sales are the Chinese-made Hohners, but it seems many of their lines are made in Germany, at least based on Hohners website. I was fortunate that Hohner has a large service center here so they can easily adjust/service their accordions---Chinese or German made.

And to end room for doubt - Thomanns were good enough to reply (07/2014) to my emailed enquiry and confirm that Startone accordions are, indeed, made in China.

Four more to add -- "First Act" -- "Sonata" -- "D'Luca" -- "Baronelli" and sometimes "Barronelli"

ChrisH said:
The Chinese list is growing at an alarming rate and will probably continue to do so. Maybe it would be more helpful to compile a list of geniune Italian manufacturers?

Chris
And German and Chek & French...
And worse - maybe they start work on our list... :lol:

JIM D. said:
Four more to add -- First Act -- Sonata -- DLuca -- Baronelli and sometimes Barronelli

Added in Jim, thanks :tup:

Actually we could add 'how to spot a Chinese accordion' which is relatively easy today for all but a newby...
They'll be cheap for a newish accodion; they'll often have Parrot (1970s Scandalli) shift switches, they'll generally be newish (which is why I said 'today'), they'll be a less recognised make, and crucially it won't say where it is made on it ie not stamped 'made in Germany/France/Italy etc.

The exception to the rule, all but the latter, is branded Parrot and Hohner.

And you can check our list... :)

Back