• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cheap Wireless audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so what do you guys see, know or use that is wireless audio... and is cheap (all pros, please move on... nothing to see here... lol)

Well, I think I have found the ultimate uber-cheap wireless setup for all us amateurs!  

As many of you know, I have a set of JB Labs X-100 stereo wireless transceivers, and they are very good, except that with a latency of 25ms, you cannot use them for live performances... but for recording, they are really great, even when making videos, because mostly one has separate audio recording devices external to the camera, they shine.  The cost was $139CDN

Ok, so what could you do even if you could not afford that... what if all you had was... lets say, was around $55 dollars, could you do it with that amount? Yes.

There is a company called Fifine that makes a really cheap  mono lav/headset mic setup that is wireless and is made for educational use.  I was thinking that in those cases, a high latency setup would be audible, and so not a good thing, so they might find a way to reduce it... maybe?

In online reviews, no one that tested them spoke about latency... they did, however, speak about the lower audio quality, but maybe that was more due to a low cost mic or lav... but how would it sound with music?  Would it even work with the output of my 8x?  I invested about $15 in connectors and cables and made my own custom cable just to find out how bad a setup like this could be.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they worked really well, but its not perfect.  If you want the complete story, along with a few pics, its on my blog/website AT THIS LINK.  Ill put up a short video in a week or two, but suffice to say that for the cost of $40US, you could pick up one of these units and adapt them to your AMATEUR setup and then walk all around your home and send the signal to your own amp or recording device completely without wires. 

Enjoy!

Line 6 g10 has proven for me for the 3+ years. You have to consider a wireless that auto searches for the best channel. Before gig, I plug in transmitter in base for a minute, you can see it flash as it searches. Then you can play away without interruption from other wireless systems.

This is a required minimum if looking for cheaper ones...and pick ones that are on 24ghz band and something not a Bluetooth device.

Keymn said:
Line 6 g10 has proven for me for the 3+ years. You have to consider a wireless that auto searches for the best channel. Before gig, I plug in transmitter in base for a minute, you can see it flash as it searches. Then you can play away without interruption from other wireless systems.

This is a required minimum if looking for cheaper ones...and pick ones that are on 24ghz band and something not a Bluetooth device.

I believe this one has 16 channels in the UHF range, not competing for bandwidth with local routers, phones, etc...

It's low end amateur for sure, but... it works better than all other $40-$60 units.  :)

Keymn pid=70699 dateline=1585001841 said:

Larry,

Have you seen this:

line6-2019.png

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: FIRMWARE UPDATE REQUIRED FOR RELAY G10 PRODUCTS
Corrective Action required for Relay G10, Relay G10S, and Relay G10T Wireless Products Purchased Prior to February 2020

[img=300x149]https://bulk.line6.com/media/images/g10.png[/img]
[size=undefined]
Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc., (“YGG”), in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), is providing a corrective action for its Line 6 Relay G10, G10S, and G10T Family of Products, and for its Line 6 Relay G10T USB Charging Cable used to charge the G10 transmitter. The lithium-ion battery used with the Line 6 G10T charger can overheat in certain rare situations, allowing pressure to build up. This pressure build-up can cause the battery cover to separate forcibly with the potential for injury and property damage.
YGG is also recalling the Line 6 Relay G10T USB Charging Cable, because it can apply too much current to the transmitter which can cause the battery to overheat and cannot be repaired.
Consumers are advised to stop using the Line 6 G10, G10S, G10T and G10T USB Charging Cable products immediately until they have taken the actions below.
G10, G10S AND G10T TRANSMITTER
YGG is providing a Firmware Update for the G10, G10S and G10T Family of Products to address the issue of the lithium-ion battery overheating. Although worldwide there have been only four reported incidents of the battery cover separating forcefully with only one report of property damage (the burning of an immediate area of carpet upon which a unit was charging and the blackening of an adjacent door), YGG is taking this action out of an abundance of caution to further help ensure the safety of its customers. There have been no reported injuries.
Consumers may register to receive the free firmware update by going to https://www.line6.com/g10recall or by calling 877-865-4636. Once you register you will receive instructions on how to download and activate the firmware update. This firmware update will reduce the charge the battery holds and therefore reduce the risk of overheating. 
LINE 6 RELAY G10T USB CHARGING CABLE
When you register for the firmware update, you also can register for the charging cable refund. To receive a refund for the charging cable you will need to visit https://line6.com/g10cablerefund/ and follow the instructions. When you register, you will be given additional instructions on how to obtain the refund.
To register for the refund online please go to https://www.line6.com/g10recall, or call toll free 877-865-4636, between 8:00am and 4:00 pm Pacific Time.
Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. regrets any inconvenience this product recall may cause, but our primary interest is the safety of our customers. We are committed to providing the best products for guitar players, and we value you as our customer.[/size]

MORE INFO

"The lithium-ion battery used with the Line 6 G10T charger can overheat in certain rare situations, allowing pressure to build up. This pressure build-up can cause the battery cover to separate forcibly with the potential for injury and property damage."

What an elegant way of saying that the battery can explode strongly enough to seriously damage and set fire to both property and people... lol

Have 2 line 6 g10. The midi cable connection is the weakest part of this unit and had intermittent issues with one of the connections. Replaced with armor usb cable.
My iPad had an issue with the Usb cable connection getting warm. I was using some cheap one from Amazon, never again...I replace the cable frequently when I see the wear of the outer shield cracking. But lots of flexing when trying to use it plugged in.

Not so much flexing in the g10, but need to secure to keep the connection from bending.

Tight cable connections are important, even with our accordion batteries, loose connection causes heat.

I am glad this was pointed out On G10, got the letter on this.

JerryPH said:
"The lithium-ion battery used with the Line 6 G10T charger can overheat in certain rare situations, allowing pressure to build up. This pressure build-up can cause the battery cover to separate forcibly with the potential for injury and property damage."

What an elegant way of saying that the battery can explode strongly enough to seriously damage and set fire to both property and people... lol

Upgraded the firmware...explosion risk is eliminated. Power cable has been a weak point in this system, very fragile but a standard On phones etc...they changed the power plug connection on the upgraded unit and they had issues, recalled the power cable...It happens...still my goto unit...

Awesome, probably still is in the top of the list in terms of quality products that pro musicians use.  :)

JerryPH pid=72101 dateline=1589587606 said:
Awesome, probably still is in the top of the list in terms of quality products that pro musicians use.  :)

Wonder how the Xvive wireless are doing? This is a nice comparison of the top 3 in the same price range...

I didn't like the aesthetics of those units hanging down from the accordion and they really don't offer more for $199US+ that I got for my $55CA.

JerryPH said:
I didn't like the aesthetics of those units hanging down from the accordion and they really don't offer more for $199US+ that I got for my $55CA.

...using the angle adapter that is provided with the line 6 g10 is no good. It swings around. Plug it straight in, nice and solid. The xvive is on some kind of pivot so it fits in several guitar styles. The audio outputs are very fragile and need a good solid connection, whether wired or wireless.
Reliability in my environment of performing is my key issue over cost.

Keymn said:
...using the angle adapter that is provided with the line 6 g10 is no good. It swings around. Plug it straight in, nice and solid. The xvive is on some kind of pivot so it fits in several guitar styles. The audio outputs are very fragile and need a good solid connection, whether wired or wireless.
Reliability in my environment of performing is my key issue over cost.

I mostly use the g10 together with the psu for Microvox accordion mics. When I attach the psu to the belt on my pants and plug in the g10 it sits horizontally. The angle adapter lets me have it angled downwards or upwards (held in place with elastic band then). So it really depends on the circumstances whether using the g10 with or without the angle adapter is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back