• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Characteristic sound of each brand

craigd

Reaction score
This interests me, as I get to know various instruments I find that brands have their own sound, especially in their better instruments. My excelsior 940 has that mellow round "jazz" sound, without much brightness or edge to it, a Guerrini Superior I owned years ago was brighter, more complex but maybe a bit thinner in tone, the Titano/Victoria I have has a rich tone, not as mellow as the Excelsior, more colourful and dynamic to my ear. Anyways, I'm curious about other people's impressions of various brands' sounds. On a continuum from super mellow to bright, where do they fall? Or from pure tones to complex?

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Yep. I agree.
Each "brand" has a distinctly characteristic and recognisable sound or timbre .
Just like people's voices: they only need to speak a few words and immediately you know who it is (Pres. Bush, Pres. Kennedy, Her Majesty the Queen, Dame Thatcher etc)!🙂

Scuromondo

Reaction score
I’ll be interested to hear the responses you get on this one.

But my impression is that a number of the members are veritable connoisseurs not unlike wine aficionados: they are likely to not only have a preference by brand, but by generation of product, year of manufacture, reed supplier, and perhaps other qualities as well !

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are too many different accordions to recognize each and everyone of them by ear... but after a few minutes of listening it's quite possible to identify some accordion brands (not specific model), cassotto models, especially if L, LM, M, and maybe MH are used, but nothing with MM (not even when it has no tremolo). Between some of the more popular brands I can identify with reasonable accuracy: Victoria, Pigini, Bugari. Also the 1960s' super models have a very characteristic mellow sound: Bell/Scandalli/Hohner (I cannot distinguish between these but recognize when one of these are played. And then there is the Hohner Morino M series with its characteristic sound as well...
I fully realize that I am an exceptional nerd in being able to identify which accordion is being played... When I watch a video with nice scenery in which an accordion is being played (and when what you see is almost certainly playback) I can easily tell whether the accordion we see is the same model as the accordion used to record the sound. And when I hear an accordion on the radio (classical channel) I only need a few seconds to recognize whether it's a Pigini or not...