• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Canto del Canarino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking, what we need more of on the forum is simple music played with wrong notes. I dont expect anyone particularly to listen to this, certainly not to praise it. I had planned to get back into playing by working up some simple music and posting as I went. I realised this week how little time Im likely to get on the accordion this year and so I have posted something that I never intended to be public; its a way of giving myself a target and no one needs to listen or comment. The next things I would do with it are to sort out note lengths, possibly stop doing crescendos, and put in a couple of ornamentations/twiddles.

Ive used Jerrys advice on Dropbox; thanks Jerry. The accordion isnt mine, thanks Ingris, thats what happens if you turn your back.

Its a tribute to losthobos, not in style, certainly not in quality, but purely because its called Song of the Canary. The music is anonymous, transcribed by S. M. Crawford from a bandleaders notebook.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tnfaoddovjcwb8/Video 19-04-2016, 22 56 14.mov?dl=0

Well, there are a few things I can say.
First... NICE to see you!
Second, playing with bad notes is not a problem for me, in fact when I play now it sounds more akin to the neighbor's kid pulling the cat's tail... lol. I get my Hohner back hopefully by Saturday, so then I can finally start pressing white and black keys. Not sure if I have the courage to post what I play, though. That takes a certain level of courage that I am not sure I have at this point. :)

Good on you Matt!

Sweet...my canaries approve....and they're as good a judge as 'the old grey whistle test'
And Bugari's are a nice machine to play too...should've kept mine really...though was tuned to 446 so not a lot of fun playing with others...unless they're canaries...

A real person playing a real accordion - that's what this forum is all about.
Well done Matt, I have just joined your fan club.
Garth

Thank you everyone.

I've just realised that my first comment "what we need more of on the forum is simple music played with wrong notes" might be taken seriously. It was meant to be a self-deprecating joke and not in any way derogatory towards fine and skilful players of the accordion - I am very very grateful to the skilled participants here and am genuinely excited by what they post. The last thing I want to do is perpetuate any kind of us and them, sheep vs goats kind of ideas.

(On the other hand, I also enjoy hearing from any kind of player so if anyone else does have recordings of simple music with wrong notes, I feel there is no harm at all in sharing.)

Right just wanted to make sure I had made myself clear!

I think we all understood you Matt.
We live in the real world and all make mistakes but we shouldn't glorify making mistakes.
It happens. What is more important for the likes of us on this forum is that we take these mistakes for what they are and not be afraid or embarrassed to post some tunes because of a bum note. :)

:ugeek: As the late Pete Shutler from the Yetties once said to me "Bugger the decorating and sod the gardening practice........practice........practice........ (said with a Somerset accent by the way) :b

RIP Pete. {}

Matt Butcher said:
The accordion isnt mine, thanks Ingris, thats what happens if you turn your back.

That reminds me of a quote from a film (which I cant remember) where the leading lady bumps into an old room mate from college - who says ... it was fun together back then, sharing food, chores... vibrators...
The heroine says with a horrified look, Yeah.. but we NEVER shared vibrators...
Oh yes we did .. said her old roomy, with a wicked laff.

Hi. Good for you, it dosen't matter a jot if there were a few blemishes in your playing!! All of us who play in public can do what the majority of the population can't! I enjoyed the clip. keep it up. We went to see Emmanuel Pariselle and Roger Burgess play last week. Guess what? they cocked it up on more than occasion. Being true professionals they just laughed and started again.

Hais: thank you! Much appreciated. I went to see Viatcheslav Semionov play once (to 30 people in a church in Harrow), he made obvious mistakes/slips and was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. I am not, but still I can try to keep it up.

Ed - who have you been talking to? What happens in Kings Norton stays in Kings Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back