• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

C'était le bon temps (a waltz)

D

Deleted member 48

Im having trouble finding the name of the music composer of this waltz, Cétait le bon temps:

It has been played by André Verchuren on the accordion, sung by Pascal Sevran and others.
Whats the name of the music composer? And the year of the composition?

Is it Verchuren himself or Pascal Sevran or someone else?

Id like to add this piece to my sheet music collection, if I can find it online.
The name of the music composer is an important element in finding the sheet music.
I know this piece from a cd, but the cd booklet gives no clear information on the name of the composer.
No indication of comp(osition), arr(anged by), perf(ormer), ... its a bit of a puzzle.

CETAIT LE BON TEMPS

Georgette Plana, Pascal Sevran - Cétait le Bon Temps (La Chance aux Chansons)

Cétait le Bon Temps (La Chance aux Chansons)

M

maugein96

Stephen,

It was a valse chantee composed by Andre Verchuren and Pascal Sevran (no date).

You can get it here in handwritten format, with both score and lyrics as sung by Georgette Plana.

https://www.accordion-scores.com/

The site is French but they also offer it in English. I think they allow you a free trial so you should be able to download it for free, but you have to register.

Be sure to search for the title in French with all the accents etc as it doesnt show up if you search without the French accents in the text.

Its a nice tune, and Id never heard it before.

D

Deleted member 48

Hi,
Thanks for the hyperlink. Im surprised you had never heard it before.

On my cd the track is listed as played by Stéphanie Rodriguez, accordionist from Lyon, and under the title Cétait le bon temps are 3 names listed:
P. Sevran, H. Williams, A. Verchuren.
Who is H. Williams?

My only trace is the sung was composed around 1994 by Pascal Sevran himself, but I do not find direct evidence. The only trail of evidence is the Pascal Sevran Wikipedia page.

This website says the song/waltz was a collaboration by Verchuren and Pascal Sevran: cétait le bon temps (en collaboration avec Pascal Sevran autre ami disparu)
http://www.andre-verchuren.com/nouveautes/nouveautes.html

D

Deleted member 48

To complicate things, H. Williams seems to be one of the sons of André Verchuren:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Verchuren
André Verchuren a deux fils : l’aîné Harry Williams, ayant choisi son nom[précision nécessaire] en hommage à un parachutiste que son père a aidé pendant la guerre, est aujourdhui producteur de musique ; le plus jeune se nomme André Verchuren junior.

Harry Williams Verchuren is a music producer.

Did André Verchuren composed the tune for a Pascal Sevran song titled Cétait le bon temps ?
How to interpret the implication of his son Harry Williams in this composition?

The compiler of this cd booklet left me some detective work to do... :hb

M

maugein96

Hi Stephen,

I see youve discovered the riddle about Harry Williams. He is/was a pro player who has made several albums. He plays a C system Crosio with the French version of standard Stradella basses, but was never half the player that his father was.

Harry Williams did compose quite a few tunes. He had his fathers showmanship, but not his musical talent:-

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...758D06ACEBF957DCA66D758D06ACEBF957D&FORM=VIRE

The reason the tune was composed is outside of my knowledge, and I would guess that it may well have been published at some stage.

I would tend to believe that Harry Williams wouldnt have had any part in the composition or production at all. As far as I can remember most of his work was independent of his father.

Here is a very rare clip of all three Verchus playing together. Harry Williams is the one with the dyed blond hair.

D

Deleted member 48

The words Harry Williams accordéon in the YT window gives a list of recent videos with Harry Williams Verchuren on accordéon (one from 2016), and another with his father André and another accordionist.

(If there was a Nobel Prize winners category for Hawaii shirts, wed have a long list of French musette accordionist laureates. Perhaps a Phd can do some research on the French musette accordionists and their color preferences in Hawaii shirts and squeezeboxes )

Perhaps André Verchuren wrote the tune and Pascal Sevran the lyrics. I will definitely add this valse chantée to my sheet music collection one day.

M

maugein96

Stephen,

When I was younger one of the things that used to put me off the French accordion scene was all the "over the top" styles of fancy jackets, outrageous shoes, and toupees. Dancing with the accordion was also a bit of a turn off, but was perfected by a good number of top notch "accordeonistes".

Later on, after some holidays to continental Europe, it became obvious that "dressing to kill" was part of everyday life in southern Europe, and here in Scotland most Scottish Country Dance bands dressed up in what we call "full Highland regalia", whether they were actually highlanders or coal miners, whose "highlands" were the coal and shale "bings" (slag heaps) where I lived.

Once or twice I took rain checks on the accordion, as playing it in public seemed to be just another excuse for dressing up. I had to wear various uniforms for 45 out of my 49 working years, and the last thing I wanted to do in my leisure time was dress up like a tourist attraction on my days off.

In Norway it is the same. A lot of the bigger folk bands wear Norwegian national/regional costumes when playing, probably in case they get too drunk to remember who they are and where they come from! In Norway social drinking tends to take place once or twice a year, when it seems they try and catch up for all the days they've missed.

Many years ago I was in a Surf type guitar band where Hawaiian shirts were de rigeur, but we couldn't find any third rate shirts to match our playing, so we just wore what we liked.

Every other day or so I hear a particular musette type valse and tell myself I need to learn it. That would be fair enough if I wasn't still struggling with material I started to "learn" over 30 years ago.

D

Deleted member 48

What a wonderful study object they would have been for Charles Darwin, the colourful feathers of birds compared to the standard battledress of the French musette accordionist... :D

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-are-male-birds-more-c/

Some musettists were notorious ladykillers. Its all part of the biology and fun of bal musette dancing and accordionists.
We accordionists certainly are colourful birds ;)