• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Buying accordion parts

Gsavelli

Reaction score
I need to purchase a few leathered pre-tuned reeds for an older Patti-Bros used accordion that I have. I’m not a professional repair person by any means but I think I can do it myself after watching videos and being kind of handy. Does anyone know where to get reasonably costing accordion reeds, reed wax, etc. online either in the USA, or that ship to the USA? Multiple sources would be good. Thx.

Ventura

Reaction score
oh my, they made some really beautiful accordions (Patti Bros)
but most of them were very Pre-War and many had Galvanized
rather than Aluminum reedplates

you might want to check that first... you can see the difference

as far as pre-tuning, you also need to figure out where most
of the working reeds still live (440, 442, 444)

Gsavelli

Reaction score
I think they are straight tuned to 440(a) from what my tuning meter tells me. These are aluminum plates I'm pretty sure. The accordion is on it's end of life soon, but I do want to fix 2-4 reeds that plucking them won't fix anymore. They need replacement. If you know of any supply places that sell pre-tuned leather reeds at a lower price, I'd appreciate any leads you have. I'm in North Carolina and there ain't no supply places out here that I can find!

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Gsavelli,
If you can visit this guy Ventura suggests ( Dale Wise), take my advice and have him do the job for you: it'll be cheaper, faster, and better in the end🙂

Last edited:

Ventura

Reaction score
and (oops) i should have said Zinc reedplates
my memory saw what looked like galvanized zinc
but now a few hours later i am remembering better

LoL

nagant27

Reaction score
How many reeds do you need? I’ve got a few old accordions I use for parts, maybe they would work.