• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bulged reeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not Bugari,
  • Finest best “bulged” hand made reeds
  • Ivory treble keys and bass buttons
  • Gold fittings and trim
on a serenellini accordion

In my 50+ years of repairing - I've never heard of bulged reeds. A misprint of Bulgari ??.

Last edited:
When I see the term "bulged" reeds mentioned here all I can think of is "bombate" reeds (in some form of translation).
Bombate reeds have indeed a bit of a bulged surface, and this supposedly makes them stronger and better sounding.
But I'm not a great reed expert: I have not yet encountered an accordion with "bombate" reeds in the limited amount of repairwork I have done.

According to google translate bombate is romanian for convex, so it could be the same as bulged

Bulged reeds is what you get when an inexperienced amateur operator retunes their accordion !?

Last edited:
he does some of his top accordions with leather mounted (no-wax) reedwork....
but how this person could arrive at "Bulged" i do not know

and of course he means Ivory Colored or faux ivory, as real Ivory is outlawed
and has been since before Serenellini opened, or this seller simply means to decieve

I have not yet encountered an accordion with "bombate" reeds
they are almost a work of art... the first time i saw them was at FisItalia, and
they were kind of a new thing then (i think)

anyhow he was excited to show them off, as he was starting to use them in some
builds... they are a polished surface and very fine indeed, and holding one to the light
you CAN see the curvature

i can say they looked very precise and the edges being so thin may allow
a tighter fit while changing the center of mass slightly where it sits in the Embocure

Ventura,
"...holding one to the light, you CAN see the curvature"
Interesting.
Does it curve along the long axis or across it?
If at right angles to the long axis, it would seem to conflict with the direction of vibration and exacerbate metal fatigue ??
But, obviously, it must work, or they wouldn't be doing it!!?

across it mostly but also the tip is shaped

with thinner edges the middle would actually be a tiny bit thicker
to have the same mass overall ? so perhaps stronger

We seem to see many high-end accordions for sale fitted with "Binci Bombate Double Riveted a Mano Reeds".
In Italian "bombate" means "convex".

Found that in a brochure from Voci Armoniche:

ROUNDED HANDMADE BOMBATE REEDS (A MANO BOMBATE) It’s a particular version of the handmade reed where the tongue surface is ground by hand to be rounded, not flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back