• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bugari Evo vs Musictech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piotr

Reaction score
I will try to sell my Roland FR4x because I need more keys. Maybe here is someone who knows Bugari Evo and accordions from Musictech? I don’t like Roland keyboards and looking for another digital accordion. Witch will be better for home recording and practising?
Witch has better keyboard and bellow reaction?

Piotr said:
I will try to sell my Roland FR4x because I need more keys. Maybe here is someone who knows Bugari Evo and accordions from Musictech? I don’t like Roland keyboards and looking for another digital accordion. Witch will be better for home recording and practising?
Witch has better keyboard and bellow reaction ;) ?

Keyboards and bellows response are things that you are best off judging for yourself, if that’s at all possible. Everyone’s reaction to the same instrument may be different.  I have an FR-4x and the 37 keys never bothered me.  I tried the Bugari EVO and was impressed with its sound as compared with the Roland Fr-8x on which it is based, but I wasn’t impressed with the fact that it didn’t have all the features of the Roland FR-8x.

I never tried a Musictech accordion.  From what I understand, it’s just a reedless accordion with the same MIDI  controller and tone generator that Musictech sells for installation in acoustic accordions.

If you are comparing Roland keyboards to those on acoustic accordions, be aware of the fact that Roland keywords have deeper key movement because of the velocity sensitivity and after touch that are features of Roland keyboards.

Piotr pid=70213 dateline=1582892972 said:
Witch has better keyboard and bellow reaction?

If you are in Europe check the Cavagnolo Digit Air. I would consider it more advanced than Roland/Bugari, the keyboard is of the same type as Bugari and the features are better than Roland.

https://cavagnolo.com/accordeon/digit-air-serie/

That AiR series looks interesting, but already a few things seem like something that wouldn't fit for me... While iPad integration is nice, if it *depends* on it I wouldn't buy it. Technology changes too fast, I want an instrument to last well beyond the whims of Apple Computer and how long that App may be supported. I've been burned with other hardware that way, useless when the App is not updated. Also, the external sound module is a negative for me, having the internal controls and speaker on the FR series was a huge incentive to adopt it for me. It is a self-contained unit that can optionally use external enhancers, but I wouldn't want to buy something that depended on them. But then again, that is just me, to each their own. I have to go back to the site, because I haven't yet seen a demo actually playing, just the guy sitting there speaking French which, unfortunately, I do not understand. Having said all that, though, it is nice to see innovation in this space, that is for sure!

Alan Sharkis said:
Keyboards and bellows response are things that you are best off judging for yourself, if that’s at all possible. Everyone’s reaction to the same instrument may be different.  I have an FR-4x and the 37 keys never bothered me.  I tried the Bugari EVO and was impressed with its sound as compared with the Roland Fr-8x on which it is based, but I wasn’t impressed with the fact that it didn’t have all the features of the Roland FR-8x.

I ask because I have no possiblilities to try Musictech keyboard. We have in Poland only Roland and Bugari dealer. Today I play Roland and know his product. I have to drive 400 km to touch Evo. Musictech and Cavangnolo Digit aren't available in my country.
Which features besides Editor don't have Evo?

Piotr said:
Alan Sharkis said:

I ask because I have no possiblilities to try Musictech keyboard. We have in Poland only Roland and Bugari dealer. Today I play Roland and know his product. I have to drive 400 km to touch Evo. Musictech and Cavangnolo Digit aren't available in my country.
Which features besides Editor don't have Evo?
I am trying to remember which FR-8x features are not in the Evo. For some reason I can only remember that the Evo will not accept expansion sound sets. I hope somebody on this forum can jog my memory about other FR-8x features that the Evo doesn’t have, Of course, the Evo costs more than the 8x.

The most feature rich accordion currently available anywhere in the world on the market today is the Roland FR-8X.  The only real concession is the keyboard, if you can get around that, you will have the best digital accordion on the market today, bar none.  

I know people that have a Musictech that moved to a FR-8X and are super happy.  I have never heard of anyone that moved from an 8X to a Musictech that was happy or kept their Musitech very long.  

If you absolutely must have a quality keyboard with a digital accordion, the likely best compromise is the evolution of the Elkavox, the Concerto, which is a true accordion with reeds and with MIDI capabilities and integrated digital sounds. Passable digital electronics (nowhere near an 8X), but an absolutely incredible world class accordion... because it is a real accordion, reeds and all!

However the biggest downside there is price... they are what I would consider borderline nuts-bonkers expensive... it would not be unreasonable to pay double or triple the price of a FR-8x to get a Concerto and the highest optioned ones can exceed the price of an 8X by 5 times!  On top of that you still will not have near as many sounds as a standard FR-8X has, nor have the features that are in the 8X.

Why would I not recommend an Evo today... first, the people who made the Evo are no longer making the Evo, deciding to drop the accordion and all future support, this is now a discontinued model with no future.  I also would not trust the poeple that made the Evo... amateur business people and self-serving at best, deceptive rip-off artists at worst.  They are there for the dollar and nothing else.

If you get an Evo, you will pay 30-50% more than a FR-8X and get a LOVELY keyboard, but it is still loosely based on a FR-8x, meaning that in comparison to the accordion who's electronics it uses, it's functionally is crippled at many levels. 

No computer editor, none of the expansions that work on the 8X work on the Evo, no velocity keys... no future changes or support for the Evo... ever.  What happens in 5 years when the accordion breaks?  I can buy a main board for the 8X... Petosa *might* have a spare, but likely charge you 2-3 times the price of the $1600 FR-8X main board.

If you can live with that, I say go for it.  It is a truly beautiful accordion, but IMHO the nicer keyboard and way nicer looks do not make up for it's much higher price, reduced feature set and lower limitations.  This accordion is all about compromises... even the wonderful keyboard is only that good because Bugari removed velocity keys, moving that to the master bar switch.  

Now if you have never used this feature, you won't miss it, but I can promise you that after playing an 8X 2-3 times, and being to do things like change Organ rotary speed, percussion volume changes and pitch shifts all by pressing harder on the keys... you *will* miss them when you play an accordion that doesn't have those features!

Now, that FR-8X keyboard is bad in comparison to other digital or accordion keyboards, but if you think keyboard is geniuine issue, watch Cory Pesaturo on any 7X or 8X (which share the same keyboards)... if he can play at incredible speeds and accuracy on that keyboard, anyone should anyone else be able to... it just takes getting used to and practice.  :)

This is 100% all my opinion, some may agree, some may not and I respect everyone's opinions.  :)

The most features will be found on a Roland FR-8X. The only real concession is the keyboard, if you can get around that, you will have the best digital accordion on the market today. I know people that have a Musictech that moved to a FR-8X and are super happy. I have never heard of anyone that moved from an 8X to a Musictech that was happy.

If you absolutely must have a quality keyboard with a digital accordion, the likely best compromise is the evolution of the Elkavox, the Concerto, which is a true accordion with reeds and with MIDI capabilities and integrated digital sounds. However the biggest downside there is price... it would not be unreasonable to pay double or triple the price of a FR-8x to get a Concerto, and you still will not have near as many sounds as a standard FR-8X has.

Why would I not recommend an Evo today... first, the people who made the Evo are no longer making the Evo, deciding to drop the accordion and all future support. If you get one, you will pay 35-50% more than a FR-8X and get a LOVELY keyboard, but it is still based on a FR-8x, though it is severely crippled in many of it's the capabilities. No computer editor, none of the expansions that work on the 8X work on the Evo. If you can live with that, I say go for it. It is a truly beautiful accordion, but IMHO the nicer keyboard, way nicer looks do not make up for it's much higher price and lower limitations. This accordion is all about compromises, but in the wrong directions... even the wonderful keyboard is only that good because Bugari removed velocity keys, moving that to the master bar switch.

Now, if you think keyboard is an issue, watch Cory Pesaturo on any 7X or 8X... if he can play at incredible speeds and accuracy on that keyboard, anyone should anyone else be able to... it just takes getting used to and practice. :)

The most feature rich accordion currently available anywhere in the world on the market today is the Roland FR-8X.  The only real concession is the keyboard, if you can get around that, you will have the best digital accordion on the market today, bar none.  

I know people that have a Musictech that moved to a FR-8X and are super happy.  I have never heard of anyone that moved from an 8X to a Musictech that was happy or kept their Musitech very long.  

If you absolutely must have a quality keyboard with a digital accordion, the likely best compromise is the evolution of the Elkavox, the Concerto, which is a true accordion with reeds and with MIDI capabilities and integrated digital sounds. Passable digital electronics (nowhere near an 8X), but an absolutely incredible world class accordion... because it is a real accordion, reeds and all!

However the biggest downside there is price... they are what I would consider borderline nuts-bonkers expensive... it would not be unreasonable to pay double or triple the price of a FR-8x to get a Concerto and the highest optioned ones can exceed the price of an 8X by 5 times!  On top of that you still will not have near as many sounds as a standard FR-8X has, nor have the features that are in the 8X.

Why would I not recommend an Evo today... first, the people who made the Evo are no longer making the Evo, deciding to drop the accordion and all future support, this is now a discontinued model with no future.  I also would not trust the poeple that made the Evo... amateur business people and self-serving at best, deceptive rip-off artists at worst.  They are there for the dollar and nothing else.

If you get an Evo, you will pay 30-50% more than a FR-8X and get a LOVELY keyboard, but it is still loosely based on a FR-8x, meaning that in comparison to the accordion who's electronics it uses, it's functionally is crippled at many levels. 

No computer editor, none of the expansions that work on the 8X work on the Evo, no velocity keys... no future changes or support for the Evo... ever.  What happens in 5 years when the accordion breaks?  I can buy a main board for the 8X... Petosa *might* have a spare, but likely charge you 2-3 times the price of the $1600 FR-8X main board.

If you can live with that, I say go for it.  It is a truly beautiful accordion, but IMHO the nicer keyboard and way nicer looks do not make up for it's much higher price, reduced feature set and lower limitations.  This accordion is all about compromises... even the wonderful keyboard is only that good because Bugari removed velocity keys, moving that to the master bar switch.  

Now if you have never used this feature, you won't miss it, but I can promise you that after playing an 8X 2-3 times, and being to do things like change Organ rotary speed, percussion volume changes and pitch shifts all by pressing harder on the keys... you *will* miss them when you play an accordion that doesn't have those features!

Now, that FR-8X keyboard is bad in comparison to other digital or accordion keyboards, but if you think keyboard is a genuine issue, watch a couple videos from Cory Pesaturo on any 7X or 8X (which share the same keyboards)... if he can play at incredible speeds and accuracy on that keyboard, anyone should anyone else be able to... it just takes getting used to and practice.  :)

This is 100% all my opinion, some may agree, some may not and I respect everyone's opinions.  :)

Seems the EVO still will be supported. There was some kind of relaunch of a child company.

We announce the signing of a collaboration agreement in the field of digital technologies between #Bugari Armando Srl and the newly formed company Proxima srl.

Thanks to this agreement will have continuity and quality
assurance the new production of #BugariEvo models and after-sales assistance of the products already on the market. ➡️The working team of Proxima Srl is a harmonious team that already boasts years of experience in the field of digital musical instruments both in Roland and in the Evo
division of Bugari.

The catalog of Bugari-Evo products will not have any
restrictions: the production of models with piano #keyboard, buttons (both system C and B) with all colors starting from the basic one (Silk Black), the 9 of the Standard assortment and the 10 of the Luxory versions which also have extremely elegant finishes.

source: Bugari facebook

JerryPH, thank you for your opinion.
For me is hard to say which will be better for me. Today I play Roland FR4X and every day feel plastic deep keyboard. But news about Evo doesn’t sounds good. New company, unknown future, support....
I don’t know why Musictech isn’t such recognised like Roland.
I need more time to make right decision best for me.
Maybe here is someone, who have experience with Musictech and Roland.

jozz pid=70262 dateline=1583146734 said:
Seems the EVO still will be supported. There was some kind of relaunch of a child company.

We announce the signing of a collaboration agreement in the field of digital technologies between #Bugari Armando Srl and the newly formed company Proxima srl.

Thanks to this agreement will have continuity and quality
assurance the new production of #BugariEvo models and after-sales assistance of the products already on the market. ➡️The working team of Proxima Srl is a harmonious team that already boasts years of experience in the field of digital musical instruments both in Roland and in the Evo
division of Bugari.

The catalog of Bugari-Evo products will not have any
restrictions: the production of models with piano #keyboard, buttons (both system C and B) with all colors starting from the basic one (Silk Black), the 9 of the Standard assortment and the 10 of the Luxory versions which also have extremely elegant finishes.

source: Bugari facebook

BugariEvo did not renew the contract with Roland, so though Petosa will continue to sell whatever stock they have, and support what accordions they sell, Roland will not supply replacement parts.  In essence, nowhere to replace parts from. no further advancement on the Evo, because they did not continue to pay the Roland royalties.

They kept the name, but publicly dropped the evolution and support of the Evo, saw that they would dirty their name, and so said they would continue to sell and support the Evo, infact, there is no Evo production line, as that was stopped.  However, they will gladly sell you a new digital accordion under another name (Proxima), mass produced in China.  Of course, the standard sized accordions wont come out for several years, bringing in another long standing tradition with these people... massive overpromise... massive under deliver and a history of dishonesty .  Souce: Proven past history.  :)

Ill end it here, Ive said what I wanted.  Everyone is free to spend their own money how they feel.

Piotr pid=70264 dateline=1583151511 said:
Maybe here is someone, who have experience with Musictech and Roland.

I know only 3 people that used to own Musictech accordions, you can find them all on the Roland FR-8X forum... they all play Roland FR-8X v-accordions today.  ;)

Besides, as mentioned, Pesaturo has no issues playing ridiculously fast on a 7X/8X keyboard... and when I was at his seminar a while back, he was selling his Evo for (I believei) $7000US.  WHat was he preferring to play?  His 7X.

[video=youtube]His Evo is seem here on stage... look at whats he playing.  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back