• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bugari-Evo user instruction

John K

Reaction score
I just received my new Bugari_EVO Haria P41 accordion from Petosa Accordions. I do have the complete user manual but was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that can actually provide me with some basic Bugari-EVO fuction tutorial usage until I can familiarize myself with the functions Petosa does not offer any.

John K

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure! The Bugari Evo is basically a Roland FR-8X. Here are some basics of the Roland box:

Video #1

Video #2

Also time is your best friend. The more time you spend playing with the settings, the better you get to know your own accordion. :)

Reaction score
Hi Jerry! Thanks for your tutorials/videos. I just purchased a Bugari EVO and am having difficulties figuring out how to create User Programs. The manual is a little awkward in that regard and having worked with MIDI accordions and sound modules in the past, it's not as intuitive as I had hoped. Do you have a suggestion/source for step-by-step instructions for creating User Programs?

Thanks!

Rick

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was a project for future videos, but the possibilities to make different registrations is in the 10’s of thousands, so it’s not a matter of making user programs (which is fairly easy) but to make good sounding ones and that takes a lot of time and patience… and many, many tries and experimentation.

Start with making a change to a single registration, once you make a single registration 14 times, that becomes a set. 100 sets become a group (UPG), then that set can be exported or imported.

John M

Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to get a "head start", purchase the Richard Noel Fr-8X/Evo Program bank set for $150.00. He provides 32 User Program banks with 14 programs in each bank. They are well worth the cost. This will save you a lot time. Also you can use them as a "template" and modify/change to your liking. The link to his website is:

https://www.noelaccordion.com

John M.

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry and John... I saw one of Richard's videos and can now create a User Program (yeah!)... my challenge is figuring how to add more tones/instruments to the bass section from which to select (I only get the same seven sounds), how to assign what the master bar and chin switches will do, and how to make the bass and chords stay at a constant volume while allowing the acoustic accordion volume to be bellow-controlled. I think I've found most of these settings, but not sure how to apply them to a User Program. This is a great resource, thanks!

John M

Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use the Noel Program sets. He has many different tones/instruments for the bass section. Once you load a user program, the seven bass section switches are deactivated. However, there are many bass tones and orchestral sounds available in the 8X memory, so you really don't need the bass section switches with a user program.

On the right side of the 8X, there are 4 buttons for the left hand . The 4 buttons allow you to select 4 modes: Bass & Chrd, F Bass, Orch Chrd and Orch Bass.
The Bass & Chrd mode is where you assign the reeds you would like. The choices are 16’, 8’, 8-4’, 4’ and 2’. For each footage, there are many tone selections (Folk, Classic, Tradition, Cajun, Jazz, Alpine, etc.). For each reed, there is a volume selection from -100->+100.
The F Bass (free bass) mode sets up the left side of the 8X for 5 choices. I use “Fifth” (Quint) which allows for 3 octaves of bass notes.
The Orch Chrd mode allows for many sound choices such as: Piano, Guitar, Clarinet, Tuba, etc. There are settings for Volume (-40->+40), Lowest Note, Octave, Attack, Decay, Touch (Bellows Control), etc.
The Orch Bass tone choices are very similar to the Orch Chrd mode. Some choices are String Bass, Acoustic Bass, Jazz Bass, etc. The choices for Volume, Attack, Decay, etc. are also similar.
A nice feature is that the above modes can be layered such as Bass & Chrd, Orch Chrd, and Orch Bass can all sound simultaneously , with individual volume adjustment to get the sound you want.

On the right side of the 8X, there are 4 buttons for the right hand. The 4 buttons allow you to select 4 modes: Accordion, Organ, Orch2 and Orch1.
The Accordion mode is where you assign the reeds you would like. The choices are 16’, 8’, 8’-, 8’+, 4’, 5-1/3’, 2-2/3’. For each footage, there are many tone selections (Folk, Classic, Tradition, Cajun, Jazz, Alpine, etc.). For each reed, there is a volume selection from -40->+40 along with a few other selections.
The Organ mode is a virtual tonewheel organ, basically a Hammond B3. This is a favorite for me. The set up is exactly like a B3, 9 drawbars with settings from 0-8, Vibrato/Chorus (V1-V3 & C1-C3), Percussion with 2nd and 3rd harmonic, and fast/slow decay. I also have a Neo Microvent that is a fantastic Leslie 122 simulator to give that lush tremolo.
The Orch2 and Orch1 modes are identical with many orchestral choices depending on how your expansion slots are filled. My 8X has 305 selections. Some choices are: Piano, Vibraphone, Clarinet, Sax, Trumpet Flute, Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Violin, etc. There is adjustment control of Volume, Attack, Decay, etc. The tones are very realistic. These modes can be layered to sound simultaneously along with the Organ and Accordion modes.

For me, the PC editor (free download from Roland) is a must to access/modify the Noel Program sets. Not sure if it will work with the Evo. Without the editor, you can access all the functions, view the screen and use the accordion controls to make the changes, but it is very tedious. Richard Noel told me he designed all his Program Banks before the PC Editor came out. He must have an extreme amount of patience and determination to this extensive program development with such "primitive tools".

The internal speakers of the 8X seem weak to me. An external speaker really adds a lot to the quality of the 8X tone.

Hope this helps,
John M.

Last edited:

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The internal speakers of the 8X seem weak to me. An external speaker really adds a lot to the quality of the 8X tone.
That's because by default they run at 50% of maximum power. To get the full output, do the following:

Menu Section 14.4:
– Audio Boost: ON

With the above option, we’ve made the entire accordion louder at any given volume setting. If using external amplification, do not use as it does decrease battery life slightly. With this option activated, it releases the full 25 watt of the amps. up from the basic 15 wattt limitation, letting it get to full volume… perfect for those times you are performing and maybe strolling around or not using external amps/speakers.

Using bigger speakers with higher powered amps will make it sound better in a larger environment, but I had no issues being heard in a restaurant with over 80 people in it from the front of the room to the rear (roughly 40 X 60 foot room). :)

Reaction score
That's because by default they run at 50% of maximum power. To get the full output, do the following:

Menu Section 14.4:
– Audio Boost: ON

With the above option, we’ve made the entire accordion louder at any given volume setting. If using external amplification, do not use as it does decrease battery life slightly. With this option activated, it releases the full 25 watt of the amps. up from the basic 15 wattt limitation, letting it get to full volume… perfect for those times you are performing and maybe strolling around or not using external amps/speakers.

Using bigger speakers with higher powered amps will make it sound better in a larger environment, but I had no issues being heard in a restaurant with over 80 people in it from the front of the room to the rear (roughly 40 X 60 foot room). :)
Great tip! If I turn on the audio boost but turn down the overall volume knob, will that still use more battery power? I would be nice to have a little gain, if needed.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it activates the full power of the amp, whether it's used or not... but its not like it will make a huge difference, but a drop in playing time of 10-20 percent can be expected.