• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

broken axle rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smdc66

:cry: i am trying restore an old pancotti pa and........oops

had slight accident when trying to remove axle rod for keys and the end snapped off leaving protruding rod that looks like nail end (with head cut off) and also it digged into laquer a bit making crescent shaped mark

was not sticking up much (approx 3mm)so difficult to grip any hows and was pretty stuck in

twisted and pulled and end bit (looks like small hook) broke off leaving even less sticking up(approx 1mm)

think may have to leave it for sake of 1 sticky up key! :shock:

Sometimes worth trying this: drill a hole in the opposite end of the keyboard to line up with the rod, then you might be able to push the rod out by careful tapping with a hammer and a punch. If the rod is brass this is less likely to work than with a steel rod. I have also heard of people passing an electric current through the rod in order to heat it and break the grip of the rod on the wood it is encased in. Never tried it myself.

rod looks quite brass like :!:

knew it was a bad idea :roll

:) managed to straighten key by bending rod attached to key - so a little good news after all, if anyone is interested

hope never need to remove axle rod (unsure when would need to anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back