• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Brass tone chamber?

This is true, though I WAS impressed that my 1930s Settimio contains aluminium, as that must have been the equivalent of carbon fibre or kevlar for the time - industrial production of aluminium only being a recent thing back then.

From Wikipedia:
"During the first half of the 20th century, the real price for aluminium fell continuously from $14,000 per metric ton in 1900 to $2,340 in 1948 (in 1998 United States dollars). There were some exceptions such as the sharp price rise during World War I.[104] Aluminium was plentiful, and in 1919 Germany began to replace its silver coins with aluminium ones; more and more denominations were switched to aluminium coins as hyperinflation progressed in the country.[108] By the mid-20th century, aluminium had become a part of everyday lives, becoming an essential component of housewares.[109] Aluminium freight cars first appeared in 1931. Their lower mass allowed them to carry more cargo.[106] During the 1930s, aluminium emerged as a civil engineering material used in both basic construction and building interiors.[110] Its use in military engineering for both airplanes and tank engines advanced.[111]"

Like you, I had imagined that aluminium's general use was restricted to post WWII, but it is not so.

Back