• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Box modification

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 101

Hi all,
Just showing the setup of my travel box.
It's a old German built Hohner Amati, 2 voice (mm) which has had some significant changes.

On the treble side it's been shifted to a lower octave, running from C# to Bb as I enjoy the lower notes in my tunes.

On the 48 bass side I've had it shifted so it runs from B to Bb (losing Eb) as I play a lot of stuff using B7. The root C in its new position doesn't cause me any problems even when switching between this and my other box.

Ideally I'd like to replace the whole bass unit with a 12x4 (bass, major, minor, and 7th's). I don't really use counterbass so it's no problem for me not to have it. Whether it would fit is another matter.

But as it stands, it all works for me as I'm just a run of the mill player.

A few notes could do with a tweak as some of them are a bit 'off'. I don't have the skill to do that myself, nor unlimited funds, so all for another day.
IMG_20200826_184519202.jpg
IMG_20200826_184534921.jpg
Orma

Obviously not interesting enough to comment on.
Oh well, it works for me.

Hi Orma
That's a very handy little box. I wish I had one too!
I did the bass shift on the equivalent Hohner PA a few years back to get the more valuable (to me) B row.
I found it wasn't hard to swap the buttons to get the indented one back on the C row. I was VERY careful.

I guess the easy way to 12x4 bass would be if Hohner built one in the same sized case.
As you are you do have all 12 bass notes on the bass and counterbass rows....
Cheers
Tom

Any sound samples of the newly installed lower octave?
The pic shows an Amati just like mine, it would be interesting to compare your sound with mine, a simple tune like Plaisir d'amour perhaps?

Hi Tom,
Yes, I find the B row more useful than the Eb, hence the change.
Although, as you say, I have all the notes already but I'd still prefer to have a 12x4, bass, major, minor, 7th configuration.
Thanks for the reply.
Orma

Hi bosca,
The low octave is still a bit 'grumbly' but when it's sorted I'll stick up a sample.
Orma

Hi Orma.

I've modified a lot of Hohner accordions from 48 bass to 60 bass (6x10 F# to Eb) because there is enough space in the mechanics to fit 12 more buttons. Even modified my 72 bass Concerto III to 96 bass with extended free bass section.
A 12x4 won't fit in there, but, to add the needed c# and g# chords, i modified the diminished buttons of D, A, E and B rows, to be the chords of the counterbass (Ddim modded to be C#M, Adim modded to C#m, and the same thing for G# major and minor but with Edim and Bdim)

It is a hard work, involves buying an old hohner bass mechanics (i bought 2 120 bass systems) drilling the new holes, cutting parts in the brass system and soldering. If you are able to get the buttons, i can make some kind of tutorial

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200828_053718.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828_053718.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200828_053517.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828_053517.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200828_053826.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828_053826.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20200828_053636.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828_053636.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200828_053700.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828_053700.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi Sebastian,
I've seen your posts on the modifications you've done in the past and was mightily impressed.
I'm afraid though it would be beyond my ability. Plus the fact I live off-grid in a van means I wouldn't have the space to convert an accordion, even if I did have your technical bent for such things.
But thank you very much for taking the time to get in touch.
Best
Orma

Snap! I've had three little red accordions for Morris purposes, and had The Husband shift the bass layout every time, same as yours, as I need the B much more than the Eb. The most recent - and most permanent of the little reds is a 1960s Hohner Amati, not entirely unlike yours, but with treble couplers.

I like the idea of lowering the right-hand notes (I never use the top ones anyway, too squeaky)
707911048_2_Big.jpg, but it would throw me completely now!

Lovely little things those old Hohner Amati boxes Anyanka.
Snap! I've had three little red accordions for Morris purposes, and had The Husband shift the bass layout every time, same as yours, as I need the B much more than the Eb. The most recent - and most permanent of the little reds is a 1960s Hohner Amati, not entirely unlike yours, but with treble couplers.

I like the idea of lowering the right-hand notes (I never use the top ones anyway, too squeaky)
707911048_2_Big.jpg, but it would throw me completely now!

I really don't like those squeaky high notes and do use the new low octave a lot.

Nearly there, one more mod and I'll have my perfect travel box.

I'm sure you would get used to it as I suspect you have far more talent that I'll ever have. I'm not so much a musician, more a ' tune botherer'.

Orma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back