• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Borsini accordions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff de Limousin

Reaction score
I am thinking of splashing  the cash  on a  small  Borsini LMMH   and  I would like to hear  any opinions / experiences  you may have  with this  company's  products.  

What I am looking at  is a  96 bass  CBA   with  39 note/ 5 row  keyboard  and  5 voice  bass.  The seller says  it weighs  9 kilos.  All this in a compact 'piano accordion'  shaped  case.

I know I should  just go and try  it  but  that  involves a  12 hour  round trip.

What  thoughts ?

You need advice on wether or not to go collect the Holy Grail.... Just get your engine running...

Geoff de Limousin said:
I am thinking of splashing  the cash  on a  small  Borsini LMMH   and  I would like to hear  any opinions / experiences  you may have  with this  company's  products.  

What I am looking at  is a  96 bass  CBA   with  39 note/ 5 row  keyboard  and  5 voice  bass.  The seller says  it weighs  9 kilos.  All this in a compact 'piano accordion'  shaped  case.

I know I should  just go and try  it  but  that  involves a  12 hour  round trip.

What  thoughts ?

Borsini has a good reputation (but no longer exists as a company). They made relatively light instruments which is good for comfort but also makes them a bit fragile. So that 9kg is a believable number. The 39 notes may be a bit disappointing as many 96 cba accordions have at least 41 notes. A lot of accordion music and arrangements assume everyone has 41 notes (low F to high A) so you should at least ask what note range this one has, and see if you can live with that.

Geoff de Limousin said:

Depending on the amount of cash involved, I would take the 12 hour round trip option, ... ymmv.

Thankyou for the  positive responses  Losthobos, Paul  and Corinto !!

Indeed  Paul  the 39 note  keyboard  appears    truncated  in comparison  to  my  french  style CBAs...  even  my  little 96 bass Fisitalia  has 49 notes .

Geoff.... I'm interested to know what the fisitalia is lacking enough for you to consider the Borsini... I thought according to Ludovic Beier that tjey had a very good reputation.. Thanks

Hi  Losthobos,   perhaps you are thinking  of  FISART    not  FISITALIA.... though it could be that  all the  parts  for  both    are made in Castelfidaro.

My  Fisitalia  Compact 49  is  an  LMM  with  4 voice 96 bass... it is a fine  accordion  a 8.5kilos.....  but I  have been looking for  an LMMH  that  does not  break  the bank or my  back.  Twice I have nearly bought a   second hand Victoria ( AC310V and Poeta)  but chickened  out   due to price.  I  really do not want to go  to  the 12.5 kilos  and  48cm  high of a 120 bass ... though there are always  several on the secondhand market  here in France.

I  would love a  Ludovic Beier Signature  from Fisart  for sure  but  I'll just have  dream  on that one. :D

If I was thinking seriously about any accordion and it was 6 hours away, I would do everything I could to find out about the accordion and condition before going out and if everything was favorable and I really liked it, I would make the trip... but plan for more than 12 hours if it is a 6 hour trip each way... count several hours looking over the accordion and speaking to the owner in person.

Not many people would go that far, but I have no issues jumping in a car and (for example) driving my Roland 1150 kilometers round trip and spending a day in Toronto, or driving 1200+km to drive to the New England Accordion Connection and Museum when the conditions are right. I sometimes even make a weekend of it, it's a nice mini vacation. :)

Of course you are correct JerryPH , one should find out all and everything about the instrument before making a long trip. I do not know enough about this particular accordion it is true, and buying from a private seller I have no come back.

A couple of years ago I travelled out 5 hours , each way , to look at a new Castagnari offered by a reputable dealer. I did not buy it. At 69 perhaps I am getting too old for these long day escapades.

Geoff de Limousin said:
A couple of years ago I travelled out 5 hours , each way , to look at a new Castagnari offered by a reputable dealer. I did not buy it.

bet you still had a nice outing, sometimes you just have to try these things

Yes an outing would be nice, I spend far too much time 'at home' because I also work here. But I have decided not to make what will probably turn out to be a two day trip plus a day to recover. Perhaps I am not quite as crazy as I was a few years ago when I'd think nothing of such a journey.

Thanks for the encouragements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back