• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bk-7m discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keymn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I have asked my music supplier if the Bk-7m is discontinued. They replied yes. Anyone else to verify? If so, what are other options?

I noticed that something was going on with the BK-7M when I put mine up on Craigslist a couple months ago. I had listed it previously with little interest and a couple of "I'll give you $500 cash today" replies. I had put it away in the box about a year ago and wasn't using it.

I decided to list it again and had numerous offers at $750 (with the Roland BK-7M stand). I set it back up to make certain it was in perfect working order and ended up playing along with it for four hours. It's never been back in the box and I use it nearly every day now.

I bought mine about a year ago used. Music Go Round $575.00...it serves only 1 purpose, does a great job on the Austrian waltz and polka beats which I use frequently at the German/Hungarian Restaurant gig. If need more, use my Korg PA3x for other styles. And it is compact on stage.

Attachments

• B765CAE2-C2FA-4E79-8374-7E2BBA24DDBE.jpeg
    B765CAE2-C2FA-4E79-8374-7E2BBA24DDBE.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 56
Yes it is discontinued, but its still good for what it is.  

Whats the latest?  Ketron SD-90... if you want to pay 2700 Euros ($3200US, or over $4000Cdn).  For that much, it could stand up and play the accordion for me, and I would still pass... lol

Lots of BK-7ms floating around. Join the facebook BK7-m page and a few of the Roland V-accordion groups as well as keep an eye in places like Craigslist, they pop up fairly often. I found mine in a pawn shop for around $500US. Another option is a used Ketron X4, great sounds good quality, but a bit bigger/heavier. Brand new that one cost me $2000Cdn back in the day.

JerryPH pid=66652 dateline=1565943445 said:
Yes it is discontinued, but its still good for what it is.  

Whats the latest?  Ketron SD-90... if you want to pay 2700 Euros ($3200US, or over $4000Cdn).  For that much, it could stand up and play the accordion for me, and I would still pass... lol

Lots of BK-7ms floating around.  Join the facebook BK7-m page and a few of the Roland V-accordion groups as well as keep an eye in places like Craigslist, they pop up fairly often.  I found mine in a pawn shop for around $500US.  Another option is a used Ketron X4, great sounds good quality, but a bit bigger/heavier.  Brand new that one cost me $2000Cdn back in the day.

Those Ketron are pricy. Nothing new and exciting for me. Better to look at arranger Keyboards. You get more bang for a buck. Yamaha released the PSR sx900 which is a stripped down model of the Genos. The Korg Pa1000, stripped down PA4x. If these companies would make a module, a winner. And if doing Jerry Lee Lewis “Whole Lotta Shakin” put down the accordion and jam out on the keys...
The Bk-7m serves my purpose. But enjoying the Beat Buddy pedal drum machine with the accordion too. A little more complex to setup, but the drum kits are the most human realistic I have heard.

My first arranger ever was a Ketron XD-3 that I used with my Petosa Millennium digital needless accordion. The BK-7M was definitely a step down as far as quality of the sounds and realism of the patterns. I'm still considering purchasing a used one because it was so darn good.

BK-7M is easier to use and about half the size - but Ketron, although expensive, is an excellent company with excellent products in my opinion.

Keymn.... Tell me how or more about the beats buddy.. Seemed best option to me by far for lo g time but I need to pay import taxes in UK... What I really need to know is Does It Swing... Many thanks Terry

losthobos pid=66890 dateline=1567371248 said:
Keymn.... Tell me how or more about the beats buddy.. Seemed best option to me by far for lo g time but I need to pay import taxes in UK... What I really need to know is Does It Swing... Many thanks Terry

I do not like the factory beats in most part. But the drums are realistic and if you have a ear for drum beat programming, it is a good option. It has an editor on the pc which you can produce your own beats. Like most arrangers and drum machines, they tend to appease the guitar player music styles. Have no regrets as I enjoy the programming my beats...here are some recordings with FR4x and Beat Buddy.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocw4e17hv7q4i8r/Silver Wings Beat Buddy.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3xcech7rpj3pth/FR4x Beat Buddy Country.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clle7yrrx470u04/Beat Buddy Waldegger.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xo53a9af31g5zz/BB Wooden Heart.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ip0xbhex56qys1/Beat Buddy Waltz.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cusmqg27qbctdpr/Beat Buddy Polka UpFR4X.mp3?dl=0

Thanks Larry.... Not sure it's what I'm looking for now as still sounds a bit synthetic and I've enough on my hands trying to learn the accordion without worrying about programming
When I'd got in touch with manufacturers they gave me their obviously biased opinion and gave me the impression that they'd recorded live drummers and you could patch four bar loops etc together much like someone adept with a sampler would... Not sure why it still doesn't sound Live.. Really grateful you've taken time to enlighten me.... I'll keep my cash and try find a brush drummer to play along with... Best wishes Terry

losthobos said:
Thanks Larry.... Not sure it's what I'm looking for now as still sounds a bit synthetic and I've enough on my hands trying to learn the accordion without worrying about programming
When I'd got in touch with manufacturers they gave me their obviously biased opinion and gave me the impression that they'd recorded live drummers and you could patch four bar loops etc together much like someone adept with a sampler would... Not sure why it still doesn't sound Live.. Really grateful you've taken time to enlighten me.... I'll keep my cash and try find a brush drummer to play along with... Best wishes Terry

Yes, electronics synthetic. I bought the FR4x to get my midi connections and a couple orchestra sounds. Not much to adjust on this accordion as some think. Today as musicians, we need to be capable to learn how to play and program the synthetics. But without knowing how to perform, the latter does no good...Happy playing...glad I enlightened you...

How about this then Larry.... Looks like the very thing Ive been searching for... Organic simple sounds and easy to operate...

losthobos pid=67082 dateline=1568137997 said:
How about this then Larry.... Looks like the very thing Ive been searching for... Organic simple sounds and easy to operate...

So many options...being a performer, have great responses with what I have...check out this surfing Beat on Beat Buddy and accordion guitar sound, FR4x, did my own programming...I just need time out as new products are on the way, hopefully in 2020...maybe I sent this link, but using a rock drum kit on Beat Buddy and did the beat from scratch on the intro toms...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k817islzgtcypg/wipeout BB with GT-1.wav?dl=0

Well done Larry... I've got to say that is a pretty grand example of what can be done with electronics and time... If I had that backing track I'd probably just get my guitar out of the pawn shop...
I've spent some time this week on the bests buddy forum and it seems the biggest gripe is the rhythms are far too heavy handed crash bang wallop affairs and especially true of the jazz swing patterns... Pity really as the pedal design and concept is supetb
As an acoustic accordion player I think I'm gonna take a punt on the boss dr rhythm and see if it adds something to my playing even if it is just better timekeeping... I'll keep you posted
Keep surfing.... and again thanks for your input.. Terry

Now that the BK-7m has been discontinued for some time, what is a good option to fill this gap that wont break the bank?

Keyboard arrangers seems the only option at this time. Korg pa1000 or lower cost pa700. Yamaha has a couple units too in the prs sx 700/900
Under the $1000 range is this? I know nothing about this one? But seems a copy of Yamaha?

You get what you pay for :cool: Seems like the good ones are around the $1000 mark. There are many second-hand BK-7m on the market.

I would still go with an arranger keyboard, has more options. The bk7m is great on size but limited style edit functions. I have watched several YouTube videos of sd90. But nothing that excites my taste for simplicity.
But I am talking from a keyboardist stand point and learned the keyboard as a second instrument. Only play accordion for the theme jobs that require it. The pa1000 by Korg is the latest and may entice the accordionist to use it as backing. Weighs only 23 pounds and fits in light weight stand and shoulder bag…The Musikant styles (optional purchase) are one of the most impressive to me that are geared for all Genres. The PC software, Korg PaManager will allow you to convert styles from any future models that may come out. Could be my last arranger?

For me, an arranger kb and backking module are two different things. I don’t want/need to carry a keyboard of any size around just to get backing sounds. I have my fr4x and that’s enough instrument wise. The bk7m is small and sits on its stand so I can easily see it when playing. I use a home made fc7 type pedal to control it while playing. I am still researching how to control everything using midi and a song app on phone or iPad. However as it stand my setup is very simple. I even made the bk battery powered so I have no need for mains or pa at the sort of small places I play. The bk plays through the accordion speakers.
i did wish Roland would resurrect the bk7m though. As soon as I got the fr4x I realized I ‘needed’ one ? and it’s a blast to play with. Even makes me sound good, well reasonable anyway!
i have a beat buddy that I used to use with a loop pedal and keytar. Totally different thing. I tried it with the accordion and really did not like it but others may disagree.
as far programming goes I am in the lazy category. I tend to use what is there with little to no tweaking. I want to play, not spend my time programming sounds to be just right. That said I need to create a 5/4 time style. There are drum tracks on the beat buddy in 5/4 time but not on the bk.
k i will say I find setting up play lists on the bk very time consuming. I’ve tried Peter jazz’s editor which is great but not exactly what I want so I am trying to write my own (because I am a programmer and that’s what I do ? )

As for obtaining one, used is your only option. I do worry about what I will do if mine dies. Ketron seem so expensive, plus I’d have to rework all my play lists and settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back