• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Billy Cotton's accordionist? (long shot historical question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccordionUprising

Reaction score
Looking for the name of a woman who played accordion with Billy Cotton and his Band back in the late 1950s.

A fellow wrote to me asking:

"I am trying to write my biography, Stuck on a woman accordionist I once met in 1958, (I am 77 ) who told me she had played for the English band of Billy Cotton (she really could play)."

I'm not sure who might know. Any ideas?

Thanks all,

AccordionUprising said:
Looking for the name of a woman who played accordion with Billy Cotton and his Band back in the late 1950s.

"I am trying to write my biography, Stuck on a woman accordionist I once met in 1958, (I am 77 ) who told me she had played for the English band of Billy Cotton (she really could play)."

Thanks all,

Bruce,

May have been Lady Dorothy Longley (nee Baker), who had a mixed male/female accordion band during WW2. A drummer named George 'Scats' Johnson, who had played with Billy Cotton's band, sat in on occasion with them, and there may have been some connection, but I cannot say for certain. 

She was born in 1903 so would have been about 55 in 1958. She died in 2003 just before her 100th birthday. She and her husband were from Crawley in Sussex (near London). He was a self made millionaire builder who was knighted in 1966, so she would just have been plain Dorothy in 1958. 

You'll get more info on Google if you need it. Can't think of any other possibles.

maugein96 said:
AccordionUprising said:

Thanks all,

Bruce,

May have been Lady Dorothy Longley (nee Baker), who had a mixed male/female accordion band during WW2. A drummer named George 'Scats' Johnson, who had played with Billy Cotton's band, sat in on occasion with them, and there may have been some connection, but I cannot say for certain. 

She was born in 1903 so would have been about 55 in 1958. She died in 2003 just before her 100th birthday. She and her husband were from Crawley in Sussex (near London). He was a self made millionaire builder who was knighted in 1966, so she would just have been plain Dorothy in 1958. 

You'll get more info on Google if you need it. Can't think of any other possibles.

Thanks! I'll pass that on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back