• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bellows smell

Is it acceptable that accordion bellows have bad smell even light bad smell when they are opened?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, when I open my Morino, I fully smell the "lightly wood and varnish smell" every time I start a session with my accordion. Some may not like that smell (I absolutely love it, it truly is part of the experience for me), and this should not be categorized as a "bad" smell, you can't remove the wood/varnish smells of any acoustic accordion, they all have it to some extent. It mostly disappears after 1-2 full bellows inhale/exhales.

When I played for the very first time, my quilter / fabric-seller girlfriend said "ah! old accordions have Old Sewing Machine Smell too!" with a big smile on her face. It was a good way of putting me at ease that it wasn't just a different species of mildew. (On sewing machines it usually comes from ancient lubricant, which may or may not have hardened from oil into wax.)

Reactions: Tom
Yes, Jerry, ozone is toxic, which is why it works. The ozone approach requires bagging the box with either a number of keys held open, or better yet, disassembling into 3 parts and plastic bagging. Introduce ozone until bag is filled and close tight for several days. Repeat as necessary.
Drawback: The cost of the machine...$50.00 - $80.00 US. A lot for one use. I has many other applications, as well.
Advantage: Minimal labor and no liquids involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back