• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bellows for Hohner Verdi II 80 bass older model - new

Mr Mark

Squeezebagger Extraordinaire...
Reaction score
As per the title, I am looking for a set of bellows for an older Hohner Verdi II. Are there any recommendations in getting a set made? The dimensions (outside) I have are 15.5" x 7" x 2.625" - 16 total folds including both ends.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 3

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Reaction score
The safest process for having a new bellows made is to send one bellows fold to the manufacturer. This gives them the exact dimensions. I would advise against sending the complete bellows because if something goes wrong you lose the frame.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate your endeavor to revive an older Hohner accordion. I'll try here to offer you the "Straight Skinny" on your endeavor.
I see your on my side of the pond and finding parts for older German boxes is difficult as unlike in Europe used Italian accordions
out number German accordions 10 to 1 here making the sourcing of used German parts extremely difficult. You can order a set of
new bellows for your Hohner, but the cost of new bellows, fitting the frames. & bellows gasket needed will easily cost you
$400.00+ USD. One solution is finding a shop that will refurbish your original set. Not recommended as the cost to refurbish
your original set will easily outweigh the worth of the accordion when finished. I have many sets of used bellows in my shop
but most all for Italian models any only a few old Hohner sets but none to fit your model. Now there are older Hohner parts
out there and it will require you to contact the various repair shops in your area to inquire on used German parts.
One you might try is-- https://www.google.com/search?q=Liberty+bellows&gs_ivs=1#tts=0 -- they seem to be stocking
used German parts these days.
Now if you have some practical skills your best alternative is to repair them yourself.
To start give this a read --
YouTube also has many videos on this subject.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Reaction score
I appreciate your endeavor to revive an older Hohner accordion. I'll try here to offer you the "Straight Skinny" on your endeavor.
I see your on my side of the pond and finding parts for older German boxes is difficult as unlike in Europe used Italian accordions
out number German accordions 10 to 1 here making the sourcing of used German parts extremely difficult. You can order a set of
new bellows for your Hohner, but the cost of new bellows, fitting the frames. & bellows gasket needed will easily cost you
$400.00+ USD. ...
Very solid advice as always.
But... you can order a new bellows for around half this price, but without the work on the frame. Just the bellows (with the 16 folds), made exactly like the old one, can be ordered from Italy for maybe $200. If the frame and gasket is still good the new bellows can be glued in place of the old one. It is not an impossible DIY job to do this. You don't need to measure anything. You just send them one fold (with corners) and they will know what to do. There are several bellows makers. I visited Galassi in Castelfidardo. They seem quite efficient, which makes ordering a new bellows cost-effective versus a restoration job.

Mr Mark

Squeezebagger Extraordinaire...
Reaction score
I do understand the cost outweighing value, however I have already replaced the felts, wax, and valves so really the only thing left to replace are the bellows. I also understand there will be more cost involved.

The existing cardboard itself is very old and in rough shape with some severe creasing occurring perpendicular to the original folds (they got folded the wrong way somehow before I acquired it and so it has consistently dashed all attempts at bellow tape repair in the area of damage), so refurbishing these isn't an option. Admittedly I have not had great success with repairing bellows corners or tape either - and as this is my preferred accordion for live work, which tends to be a little rough on things, I thought it best to have a new set made by someone who was the tools and experience to make it right. The only thing I can see reusing would be the old frames, which is fine if possible.

Seeking out an original set doesn't seem sensible either as they will be so old I will run into the same problem of needing to refurbish, probably sooner than later.

I have also emailed Liberty Bellows and a couple of other places so will wait to hear back, the thought of waiting on service from Hohner is not a route I would recommend based upon the fact it is almost non existent in my previous experiences - but maybe I should drop them a line as well.

I will continue on my quest, thank you!

Tiposx

Reaction score
I bought a new set for a melodeon from Harmonikas.cz website. Made to my specifications and colour scheme via their online order form. They are excellent quality and cost about £250. I made my own frames, but it is easy enough to use your old ones.