• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Beginner's question about reeds slow to respond.

gerardo1000

Reaction score
I am a 70 yrs old beginner and I have just purchased a brand new Hohner Panther diatonic accordion, in G-C-F, that I really like. I noticed that
the lower-pitch left-hand notes on the bass side ( namely the F/C major and C/G major) are relatively slow to speak when closing the bellows.
they are fine instead when I open the bellows. This does not happen with the higher pitched basses and with the chords bass buttons, they all work fine both when I open and close the bellows. I wonder if it is just a matter of giving the accordion time to "break in" ? i.e. to play it more and maybe those reeds will become more responsive? I live in Rochester Hills, here in Michigan there was a well regarded accordion shop and repair center (Castiglione) that unfortunately closed three years ago because the owner passed away, and apparently it is difficult to find a technician that could give me an opinion and possibly assist me. I hope that maybe I can get some answer through this forum. Thank you !

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Accordions (whether diatonic or chromatic) do not really need time to "break in". That is what a sales person would tell you so you shut up.
That low bass reeds may be a bit slow to start, especially on push, is not completely abnormal, but the reeds should be sufficiently responsive to not have a very noticeable delay.
It seems to be a rather common practice in the accordion business to expect people to accept what are just "flaws" of "defects" as being normal. Telling a customer to accept that what you think are flaws is actually "normal behavior" of the instrument is a lot cheaper than admitting there is a flaw and then repairing it...

Scuromondo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ha
I am a 70 yrs old beginner and I have just purchased a brand new Hohner Panther diatonic accordion, in G-C-F, that I really like. I noticed that
the lower-pitch left-hand notes on the bass side ( namely the F/C major and C/G major) are relatively slow to speak when closing the bellows.
they are fine instead when I open the bellows. This does not happen with the higher pitched basses and with the chords bass buttons, they all work fine both when I open and close the bellows. I wonder if it is just a matter of giving the accordion time to "break in" ? i.e. to play it more and maybe those reeds will become more responsive? I live in Rochester Hills, here in Michigan there was a well regarded accordion shop and repair center (Castiglione) that unfortunately closed three years ago because the owner passed away, and apparently it is difficult to find a technician that could give me an opinion and possibly assist me. I hope that maybe I can get some answer through this forum. Thank you !
Have you tried locating Yakov Todmorovich? He was Castiglione’s repair guy and I think he may still be teaching in the Troy area

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You will find more people who play Hohner diatonics at this site:
melodeon.net
although the Panther is not the commonest of GCFs in the UK.
I believe a reed may be slow to respond if the gap is set too wide - seek advice - too close and the reed will 'choke.'
Also could it be that pressure on the bellows happens a bit later when pushing.
Finally it is said that some 'boxes' take a while to play in and this will depend on how well the reeds were set up in the first place and the reed quality. For many years in Europe, people swapped out Hohner reeds for those of better quality - just saying.

oldbayan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Panther is a nice affordable instrument but still an "entry level" kind of accordion, made in China. The reeds are middle-of-the-road quality and may not perform equally. It's possible to do a bit of tweaking of the less responsive reeds but I have seen this issue with many of the Chinese-made Hohner instruments.