• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bayan, right?🤔

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends your definition of what makes a bayan. I'm sure Pigini (the maker of this accordion) will call it a bayan.
But there are characteristics of a Russian bayan that some people find necessary in order to call an instrument a bayan:
1) B-griff treble side
2) B-griff melody bass side with low notes at the bottom (nearest to your leg)
3) Melody bass which is LM for the lowest octave (perhaps plus 1 to 3 more notes) and LL for all higher notes
4) Lowest octave 4-voice with all 4 sets of voices on the same reed block (meaning the higher reeds here are not "borrowed" from higher octaves in the melody bass.
5) Large multi-reed plates
6) Treble keyboard further away from the player's body than on a standard accordion
Probably more...
My own bayan satisfies 3, 4, 5, 6 but not 1 and 2.
From the 5 videos I saw on Bengtsson's YouTube page I cannot make out whether the accordion satisfies number 3, 4, 5 or 6, but as it is C-system it certainly does not use 1 and probably not 2 (but we never see him play melody bass).
For many only point 6) is the main difference between a button accordion and a bayan, but again, for some that's not needed either...