• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Bass strap wheel spins by itself

Ed S

Reaction score
I've been mystified for months as to how my bass strap seems to loosen up by itself. Finally I put a dot of whiteout on the thumbwheel, put a little tension on the bass strap while wiggling it, and watched the wheel slowly spin by itself.

Any suggestion as to how to proceed? My best guess is to dope the threads with something.

It's somewhat normal when the wheel turns smoothly and the threaded rod is also pretty smooth and can "pull" the wheel to turn. (It's a worm wheel construction after all). What you can do is adjust the belt tension (using the wheel) and then put a rubber wedge in there. You can cut a wedge from a rubber eraser (for pencils).

It's somewhat normal when the wheel turns smoothly and the threaded rod is also pretty smooth and can "pull" the wheel to turn. (It's a worm wheel construction after all). What you can do is adjust the belt tension (using the wheel) and then put a rubber wedge in there. You can cut a wedge from a rubber eraser (for pencils).
Thanks much! Once you got me thinking in that direction, I ended up using a binder clip to lock the wheel:

Attachments

• accordion wheel.jpg
    accordion wheel.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 5
I've seen a strip of electric or similar tape placed across the wheel. Looks good.. out of the way.... easy to place in the case....can even match the colour!

It loosens time to time and I adjust that. I always thought it somehow protects the bass strap from over pressure in time.

To clarify: the strap was loosening up over the course of a single tune, which seems to be much faster than folks envision.
I ended up using a little Loctite 222 on it. I overdid it at first, and had to unscrew again and wipe off the excess. It works well now - slowly gets looser, but very manageably.

To clarify: the strap was loosening up over the course of a single tune, which seems to be much faster than folks envision.
I ended up using a little Loctite 222 on it. I overdid it at first, and had to unscrew again and wipe off the excess. It works well now - slowly gets looser, but very manageably.
Although its not so important for your situation, Its never to be used chemical glues. For your info.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the comment on chemical glues.

A traditional accordion is absolutely rife with glue from the coverings on the keys and the celluloid coat through the wooden blocks positioned inside, the sealing strips aroung the casing to bellows interface and the bellows themselves, asssorted thissa and thatta, and the reed plates. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's glue; and the wax used for reeds surely is glue.

All adhesives are chemical.

In the case of the loctite 222 it's being used as a friction inducer for the threads. Ought to last quite a while, do no harm, and be easily refreshed should the need arise- for those compulsive back strap adjusters out there!

Improperly used adhesives can make quite the mess, and toluene based glues can have noxious fumes, but glues are part and parcel of accordion construction and repair.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I fully understand the comment on chemical glues.

A traditional accordion is absolutely rife with glue from the coverings on the keys and the celluloid coat through the wooden blocks positioned inside, the sealing strips aroung the casing to bellows interface and the bellows themselves, asssorted thissa and thatta, and the reed plates. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's glue; and the was used for reeds surely is glue.

All adhesives are chemical.

In the case of the loctite 222 it's being used as a friction inducer for the threads. Ought to last quite a while, do no harm, and be easily refreshed should the need arise- for those compulsive back strap adjusters out there!

Improperly used adhesives can make quite the mess, and toluene based glues can have noxious fumes, but glues are part and parcel of accordion construction and repair.
What I know is dont mess with instrument if you are not a repair guy. Dont use "adhesive" where you cant get back the action you have done. I just play that :giggle:

What I know is dont mess with instrument if you are not a repair guy. Dont use "adhesive" where you cant get back the action you have done. I just play that :giggle:
Great advice; a little dab of the wrong glue in the wrong place can cause a lot of trouble. I apologize for reading into your comment three above.

As with sanding and cutting things- you can always trim it shorter- it's a bit more challenging to trim it longer... Care in executing potentially difficult to reverse actions is always warranted.

Play happy-

Henry

Back