• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Baile accordion thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m33ksy

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice on the Baile make, is it acceptable or should it be avoided?
Many thanks

The accordionist in our local Morris group plays a 120 bass Baile and I have seen it getting some very rough treatment, but it still does the job.
p.s. Baile and Parrot have been the Chinese standard workhorses for many years now. There have been many UK players who cut their teeth on these.
Garth

artelagro said:
The accordionist in our local Morris group plays a 120 bass Baile and I have seen it getting some very rough treatment, but it still does the job.
p.s. Baile and Parrot have been the Chinese standard workhorses for many years now. There have been many UK players who cut their teeth on these.
Garth
I fully agree. There is a lot of rubbish coming from China (in terms of accordions), a lot of it with serious mechanical flaws. But Baile and Parrot have been in the business for long enough to have ironed out these problems. It is still Chinese sound quality but can be a good workhorse.

I did have my doubts when I saw that it was on the chinese list but thought I'd ask. Sounds fine then as a secondary accordion for travelling! Thanks all again for your great advice.

m33ksy said:
I did have my doubts when I saw that it was on the chinese list but thought Id ask. Sounds fine then as a secondary accordion for travelling! Thanks all again for your great advice.
The Chinese list is not (completely) intended to list bad instruments to avoid. It is more to let people know which Italian or other non-chinese sounding names are really Chinese. For instance, people might think that a Scarlatti should be an Italian accordion, but nope, its Chinese. And the same is true for many other names. Having a deceiving name does not necessarily mean the instrument is bad.

Having worked in the past on a few 3 Chinese accordions , I`d avoid purchasing a used Baile or any other used accordion made in China . Hopefully their newer models are better constructed and with better materials.
With that said, I have to ask why anyone would consider a used Chinese accordion when the market is flooded with so many better Italian and German ones.

I have been using a Korean built Moreshi 72 bass as my cheap 'Streetfighter' accordion for the last three years where I don't want to take my good box..
Worth a look if you're on a budget,,,and nice tone too..just saying..

"Street fighter"? The mind boggles.

landro said:
Having worked in the past on a few 3 Chinese accordions , I`d avoid purchasing a used Baile or any other used accordion made in China . Hopefully their newer models are better constructed and with better materials.
With that said, I have to ask why anyone would consider a used Chinese accordion when the market is flooded with so many better Italian and German ones.
That is a good point. While Baile and Parrot have been in the market for long and *now* know how to build a usable accordion, that does not say anything about the built-quality of older boxes from the period where they were still learning how accordions should work.
In my opinion the best used boxes to get are older Hohners, not too old though. A Verdi II (96b LMM) or III (120b LMM) or V (120b LMMM) from the era where they have the white register switches is essentially indestructible. They were made to last a lifetime but actually last more than just one lifetime.

debra said:
In my opinion the best used boxes to get are older Hohners, not too old though. A Verdi II (96b LMM) or III (120b LMM) or V (120b LMMM) from the era where they have the white register switches is essentially indestructible. They were made to last a lifetime but actually last more than just one lifetime.
Ill second that, Ive got a several variations of them.
I know a good player who uses a parrot as a back up - the 70s Scandalli (copy or maybe licenced?) looking one with chrome pans. And it sounds good.. it must do, his main is a Super 6.

band new Chinese boxes are best avoided as they suffer from much heavier initial depreciation than most European boxes. However a little used second hand Chinese box can be a good buy for anybody wanting to dip a toe into the accordion world ( provided you try before buying). Such a lightly used box can often be sold on for what you paid for it if and when you decide to 'upgrade to a posher box. It may also be the only box you will ever need! But always let the first owner take the big hit!

george

Baile have their ups and downs. In the fifties, Baile were state own under planned economics. The factory made accordion as they wish regardless of cost. It was their golden era. Millions of officials (every citizen is employed by the government) are playing it. Their ‘brother countries’ are having it as gift. The quality cannot be too bad. Machine and reeds were indeed from Germany. (similar to Weltmeister). The malfunction of planned economic hit the peak in the seventies, all state own factory were bankrupt. Factory produced unusable, unsellable, simply to fulfill the plan. In order to feed themselves, workers brought home the parts and label, put them together and sell it in black market. Late eighties, China switched to open economics, Parrot and Baile were dissolved. workers started their own production using the brand name but their factory near shanghai is not impressive. many are fake products. Is all confusion. I bought a Baile many years ago. within a few days, I give it away to a second hand shop (I can’t sell it, is not usable). under open economic and exposed to competition, everything in china are improving fast. the present Parrot is good and resumed their reputation. I have not try a latest Baile but i don't think is as bad as their lowest point. There are many secondhand Baile from their golden era but is hard to identify.

I would not be afraid of buying a Chinese box, though there are makes I would avoid. (Golden Cup springs to mind)

Using 120 Bass boxes as standard, it is possible to buy a new Chanson 120/41 or Pearl River 120/41 for under £1,000 in the UK. Compare that with the cheaper end of Italian 120/41's, which retail in the UK for around £2,200, and there is a compelling argument for at least considering a Chinese box.

Though I have no current plan to buy one, I may in the future consider a Pearl River. My Chanson is used almost every day, and absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

When played on its own, my Chanson sounds lovely. A good friend of mine owns a Bugari and a Hohner and, when I play duets with him, I recognise that there is a difference in sound quality. I console myself with the knowledge that he has paid many thousands of pounds more for his instruments than I have for mine.

The main consideration (apart from cost, that is) is what you intend to do with the instrument. If you expect a booking at the Royal Albert Hall, you may not want to use a Chinese instrument. On the other hand, if you play around Folk Clubs, for instance, a Chinese box would be fine & dandy.

the only baile box I have played was an old ? 50's.60's 120 bass scandali copy complete with 'dustbin lids'. It was definitely more than 'half decent'!

george

George,

I have heard a 120/41 four voice Pearl River being played, and I thought that it sounded very nice indeed. One day I may buy one.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the difference between my Chanson and a Bugari when played together. The Chanson, as you know, is as "cheap as chips" when compared to European made accordions, but it performs the tasks I set for it very adequately.

I feel sure you will agree that the accordions we choose should fit the use to which we put them, and that those who only wish to play folk & popular music could do worse than to buy a Chinese instrument.

I would rather buy a Chinese box knowing that it was Chinese, rather than one which is pretending to be European. It is my opinion, after having heard a Pearl River being played, that they represent extremely good value for money.

I have not yet checked my lottery ticket but, if I have won a substantial amount of money, I have my eye on a Double Cassotto Weltmeister. In the event that I have won only a moderate amount of money, it will be the Pearl River.

Late last week I played, or attempted to play, a Chinese box with the logo "Fever" slapped on it. I was really shocked at how bad it was---extremely stiff and unpleasantly hard to move the bellows, plus one out of three notes had a big delay before sounding. As in, a BIG delay. This gives me new appreciation for Hohner's more expensive Asian lines, the PA Bravo and the CBA Nova. I've played both and own Nova CBAs. And while the build quality is not where one wishes, they really have gotten it right RE playabilty, response, and sound. Of course, they cost a lot more than this "Fever" I tried out.

Ouija,

I have never heard of "Fever" accordions, so will look to see what I can find out about them.

Please don't think that I am at all naïve when it comes to Chinese boxes; I am well aware that some of them are decidedly dodgy, but I also know that some makes are very good.

The old expression, "horses for courses" springs readily to mind, and I maintain that good Chinese boxes can be just the thing for certain venues and musical genres. For example, I think I would create the wrong impression if I were to drag a shiny new Excelsior into our Folk Club.

All The Best,

Stephen.

Ouija,

It could have been a "typo", I don't know, but the Fever accordion comes with a 30 DAY manufacturer's warranty. This is according to one American website I visited.

It appears that Fever doesn't have much faith in its own product, so is probably best avoided. However, revues I have read are fairly positive.

The bellows stiffness you mentioned appears to be common on these machines, though many new accordions suffer this problem. One contributor claims to have sorted out this problem by following advice from an online source.

Anyway, I won't be buying one.

Cheers,

Stephen.

[[[I maintain that good Chinese boxes can be just the thing for certain venues and musical genres]]] Oh, I'm sure that's true, not making an across-the-board argument. But unless you are in a position to determine playability for yourself, as you seem to be with the make(s) you know, it seems to be a risky bet. This "Fever" accordion is the only Asian make I've tried but for the Hohner Bravo and Nova. And I wasn't looking for it, just saw them in an urban shopping district packed with stores selling jewelry, boom boxes, electronics, souvenirs, etc. to a clientele that is largely Mexican immigrant. Couldn't resist picking one up and trying it, and it really was not playable. The proprietor promptly offered it to me for half the tagged price, and I courteously passed. I left there feeling silently outraged on behalf of the innocent victims that buy these things. I bet lots of unsophisticated people see them and think they would love to play accordion, and then get turned off from accordion trying to fight with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back