• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Anyone ever work through Stricker's Jazz Theory book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjsys

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned the book "Jazz Theory and Improvisation Studies for the Accordion" by Ralph Stricker for about 2 years now and have always wanted to work through it, but I am still not sure how to start.

Has anyone ever worked through it?
Any strategies? It doesn't seem to be a cover to cover type book, but I could be wrong.

Ben

I have the book, and occasionally dip into it. It's not easy and seems to concentrate on single fingering bass. It sometimes takes me a while to work out the exercises and the fingerings seems to contradict all that I already do and feel comfortable with. So far I'm happier left to my own devices.

No, but it sounds a fascinating book. Worth getting?
I have at least 3 books on poiano jazz harmony and they all make me glaze over when pedal point is mentioned after page 50 or so.
Is thge accordion book highly complex?
Is it aimed at Stradella accordions or free bass?

Thanks guys, I think i'll take a punt and get a copy.

I've mentioned before that it's a bit of a homebrew style book - I think it would be difficult to work through systematically as some parts are a bit low on explanation in the text. It is for Stradella accordion, and I would recommend getting a copy if you're interested (and there are some good arrangements in the back) but it's probably best used in conjunction with another jazz theory book such as Jazzology (Rawlins & Bahha).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back