• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Any one ever hear of the manufacturer Tescola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schoir

This was purchased new by my father circa 1953. I can't find any information regarding the manufacturer.

Here is a photo.

Attachments

• Accord.jpg
    Accord.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 1,148
Not a brand name, but a dealer name. From your Pic' a Farfisa or EMI Italian product from the 60's and not the 50's.
A pic' of the treble grill will provide a more accurate description.

Thank you. That makes sense since my mother indicated it was customized to have a pickup and an RCA plug so it could be played through an amplifier. I can't find a Farfisa that looks anything like it and nothing on EMI. My father appeared on Channel 13 in Newark New Jersey in the early 50's playing polkas with a band. The photos I've seen are not of this accordion. My father who is deceased replaced this with an Iiorio Acorgan. Do you have any idea what it is worth and where the might be a manufacturer identification?

Worth?
JIM D. said:
A pic of the treble grill will provide a more accurate description.

And how well does it play?

It is good shaape. My dad took good care of his instruments. What is the treble grill.

The side that looks like a piano keyboard is called the treble or right hand side. The buttons are called the bass or left hand side.

The things about accordions is that they can be taken care of, cleaned and all, but the biggest killer of accordions is not using them regularly (like several times a week... every week), keeping them in cool low humidity locations also helps a lot.

Also if you stick around a while, you will find that most people that come here asking for evaluations on a father, uncle or grand father's old accordion think that they have a rare gem. The often disappointing facts are that like gems in a mine, high value accordions are very, very rare.

My dad bought them to play. He played in wedding bands well into his 50's until switching to an organ to save his back. I doubt they're worth thousands of dollars. Especially not the Iorio, as I see them go for a few hundred. One thing that seems unusual is the 126 base buttons as the most I've seen is 120.

Unusual, yes, but not unique. One if my own accordions has 185 bass buttons. :)
Once you show the needed pictures people with far more experience than I will be able to give you a better evaluation.

schoir said:
It is good shaape. My dad took good care of his instruments.
Are you sure its in good shape? Your Dad may have taken care of his instruments, but maybe you dont know whats happened since. When was it last played by anyone who knows even a little what they are doing?

Ok, so perhaps he doesn't understand that even in a perfectly heated and humidity controlled sealed room, an accordion will *still* waste away, and the only thing that delays damage is continual regular use. I wouldn't expect anyone other than another accordionist or an accordion repair person to know this, as it is not general knowledge. :)

Still, his accordion makes for interesting discussion.

A person interested in purchasing the Iorio and the accordion pictured came by and played both and they both worked perfectly. My mom also played as a child but could never play either one of these because they are both quite heavy and she is 73. The guy offered my mom $50 each and she declined.

Smart woman. I own two Iorio products, one is the Iorio Acorgan S3, and the other is a rebadged Iorio, an Elkavox 83. I would have rather aggressively shown the person who made the $50 offer the door rather vigorously.

Both of my Iorio products are played regularly now as is my Hohner Morino VI N. Now, though the very digital Roland FR-8x doesn't suffer from the same "issues", it's my latest squeeze, so I am using that one the most at the moment.

I've seen the S3's go for around $500-$750 US on eBay and the Elka 83's go for around $1300-$2000 US depending on condition.

By the way, just playing it is not any real indication of true condition, exactly the same as just driving a car is no true indication of it's condition. You need to open up the hood, look inside, look under the rugs for rust, and potential issues. Same with the accordion, you must open it up and see if there is any mold inside or rust on the reeds or anything loose or broken or near broken. A car may drive well, but 10 miles down the road after buying it, you may blow the engine and transmission, either separately of which can cost more than the value of the car.

If the person evaluating the accordion did not open it up, they were not very knowledgeable about the real issues of how to properly evaluate an accordion and the associated dangers. As I said, one of the WORST things you can do is put a perfectly good accordion in storage. Just because it was good 5 years ago is not a guarantee it is good today. Accordions are likely the only instruments made that do not age well, even under the best of conditions.

A few questions I have regarding the accordion itself- so 6 extra bass any ideas why that would be helpful? Seems weird. Also it looks like the top fundamental bass button is pushed in? Could this be a sign of problem? could be small or maybe something. Any chance you can put a picture of the right hand side?

It's likely just one row extra at the top or bottom. A pushed in bass button, could be nothing, or it could be the sign of a bent rod, something a little more serious, but not really. If its a broken rod, that gets a bit more problematic.

This is the Iorio. I'll take more photos next weekend of both. I remember this one presenting issues with the electronics. Luckily my uncle was an electronics wiz and was always able to get it sorted.

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 1,190
Yup a near exact copy of mine. :)
Where yours says Concerto, mine says S3, not sure what the differences would be.

The Iorio is in the best condition as it is at least a decade or more newer. Hanging that thing on your back takes a toll. Eventually my dad went to a Crumar organ.

I would imagine they are heavy. My dad's cordovox was a beast. I still try it now and then and am amazed that he played four hours standing with all that weight on a regular basis. Does that iorio have a tone chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back