• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Any advice welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy girl

Reaction score
Because the Palmer Hughes tutor book requires it, I have to play my 120 bass a lot more frequently than before, & I find that the quality of sound on my current instrument is not as satisfying to me as my 72 bass 4 voice Sonola; subsequently I am not enjoying my practice too much at the moment.

I am looking to trade in my current 120 bass & upgrade to a 4 voice 120 bass piano accordion with lots of couplers. Is there such a thing as a ‘ladies’ model in this category which doesn’t weigh a ton.

Any advice is gratefully received; I have to do something to re-energise my flagging interest by playing an instrument which does not give me pleasure when practicing.

I know that Guerrini makes a model (the Universal) that is a 120 bass ladys size ( ).
I saw an old Rosati once which looked light and was a full 120 bass in a smaller design.
The Titano Stroller is a full sized accordion but very light at something like 11k.
My sister used to play a Mundinger Etude that was a nice looking ladys size accordion:
http://syner-g.asuscomm.com/mymusic/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/accordions-12sm.jpg>
accordions-12sm.jpg

I am sure there are hundreds of options, but a lot depends on your location, budget, size, weight and quality requirements. :)

I have a Hohner Pirolla 3 which I was thinking of selling as I no longer use it. It is compact but full sized, light with keys very slightly narrower than standard width (this wasnt a problem at all). Well made with plenty of choice of sounds (3 voice with 7 treble switches/4 bass voices with 3 switches). My one is black with gold coloured grill. The one in this video is red but apart from that very similar.

Arch

Pigini make (made?) a model called the "Wing" which is about two-thirds of the weight of a normal accordion. It may also be less robust, however.

Hi Happy Girl - I see you want a four voice... there are a few Hohners - the Pirola mentioned above comes in a 4 voice.. What have you got at the moment?

You could audition this one if its local to you. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121966312052?euid=5ba488f092cb440e8146af77f14bc261&cp=1 - theyre c16.5 keyboard and quite light.
Youd have to see this one as I suspect s/he knows nothing... and its pricey, but says offers.

And maybe worth having a chat with Emilio Allodi?

And if youve got a bigger budget there are Vignoni compacts, Borsini ,Pigini and Excelsior compacts.
And have you considered 96 bass?

Is it absolutely necessary that you have a full 120 bass? Couldn't you work with a 96 bass and have all the bass you need? I do remember that some of the PH books play up to high A. For the sake of lessons, that would probably be necessary. I played professionally on a 37/96 bass Petosa and did just fine with it. As I have gotten older, and have had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder, I feel the need to lighten the load, so to speak. You might be able to downsize and find an instrument that isn't so heavy and gives that better sound you're looking for.

rbs said:
Pigini make (made?) a model called the Wing which is about two-thirds of the weight of a normal accordion. It may also be less robust, however.

I had a Pigini Wing, 4-voice: LMMH, 120 bass. Very lightweight, loved it, but gave it up when I decided to switch to CBA. The MM was swing-tuned, and altogether the box was quieter and softer than the Pidge I play now. I now prefer the sound of the slightly wetter tuning and fuller bass, but I would recommend the Wing happily for anyone wanting 4 voices without the tonnage.

Thank you for your constructive replies, all very much appreciated.

Neoscan, I wasn’t looking to extend my accordion family by purchasing another one; a trade in was my goal.

Yes, JackieC thank you so much for your suggestion’ however I do need a 120 bass because 96 bass will not have the 41 white keys required for my study; to opt for a 96 I would have run out of white notes during practice. Already, as early as book 3 of the Palmer Hughes, the full keyboard is being utilised.

Anyanka. I remember drooling over your Wing accordion at the time you put it up for sale way back on the forum, but at that time I was not ready for such joys!

UPDATE: Armed with your information I approached the dealer from whom I bought both accordions, (Accordions of Coventry) & they very graciously allowed me to trade in both my accordions for just the one. I am very pleased to finally have only one accordion & the ‘new’ acquisition suits me down to the ground. At first sight it looked massive & quite intimidating but it soon felt comfortable & responsive with lots of couplers. Best of all it sounds brilliant to my ears.

Terry & Carol at Coventry Accordions gave me a very good deal by returning two thirds of the combined purchase price of my two accordions in part exchange, so I had very little to pay & everyone is happy all round.

This is an image of my new instrument; I now look forward to pursuing new fields with renewed interest & vitality.
Thank you once again.

Attachments

• New Accordion  27.4.2016 002.JPG
    New Accordion 27.4.2016 002.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 1,527
:b "ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS" :b
:tup: A fine choice :tup:

<FONT font=Garamond><SIZE size=125>Congratulations. That is a great choice. Bugari makes an excellent, first-class accordion. Good luck!

Definitely a wonderful choice, congrats! There are few things that revive flagging interest more than a new accordion! {}

Thank you so much, I am overwhelmed! It is up to me now to do it justice.... no excuse to skip practice now!!!

Looks like a Superfisa. Good quality machine reeds (no tipo a mano). A bit "sharp" (some would say "brilliant") for my taste as it has no cassotto but some like cassotto and some don't, and cassotto would make for a considerably more expensive accordion.
The Superfisa is a good instrument that should get you going for a number of years, maybe until both your taste and wallet ask/allow for something else.

From my limited knowledge it looks like a lovely instrument. Well done Happy Girl. Nice of you also to provide such positive feedback of a business which I am sure will assist other UK squeezers.

<HIGHLIGHT highlight="#ffff80">[highlight=#ffff80][/highlight]</HIGHLIGHT>
debra said:
Looks like a Superfisa. Good quality machine reeds (no tipo a mano). A bit "sharp" (some would say "brilliant") for my taste as it has no cassotto

I am befuddled: I have done a bit of rummaging about on the net & it tells me that, for example, the bassoon stop is ‘‘encased within a wooden chamber called a tone chamber or cassotto’’

As this accordion has a bassoon stop I can’t help but wonder in my confusion, how it can be encased in something which is not there?

Can anyone please explain in very easy to understand terms? I don’t for one minute challenge debras’ knowledge, just the lack of my own.

No need to just rummage the net. I have (of course) seen the insides of a Superfisa... but just check out the Bugari website at http://www.bugariarmando.com . The superfisa (if I deciphered the vague label in the photo correctly) was a model between seniorfisa and championfisa. It is no longer listed... The superfisa and championfisa mainly differed in the type of reeds used.
The championfisa has no cassotto. The lowest model that has cassotto is the championcassotto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back