• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Another week, another Bach: Violin Concerto nr. 2, mov. 3

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im in the process of playing a virtual Bach concerto by taking a first, second and third movement from different concertos.
This week I have played the third movement (Allegro Assai) from the second violin concerto (bwv 1042).
This is done by virtual accordion quintet (playing 5 different instruments).
The recording (no live video) can be found on YouTube at I hope you like it as much as last weeks concerto (nr. 1, movement 1, bwv 1041).
Enjoy!

Eddy Yates

Reaction score
Wonderful, Paul! Very inspiring and uplifting. Thank you!

Hey, Paul, would you mind identifying the accordions in the photo and maybe tell us what part each played in the recording? Did you use the complete score or a reduction?
I don’t want to dilute the joy of the recording with tech talk, so feel free to ignore this question!

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Sounds great, Paul, and I like the photo of you with all those accordions.

nagant27

Reaction score
Very nice playing Paul. Bach really sounds good on accordion by a very competent player like you. You ever do any scarlatti sonatas? They also sound great on accordion in my opinion.
I also love that picture. The more accordions in a pic the better.

Jim2010

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great music and great playing. Thank you. I look forward to the next one.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Eddy Yates said:
Wonderful, Paul! Very inspiring and uplifting. Thank you!

Hey, Paul, would you mind identifying the accordions in the photo and maybe tell us what part each played in the recording? Did you use the complete score or a reduction?
I don’t want to dilute the joy of the recording with tech talk, so feel free to ignore this question!

When I made the arrangement (available from my site) I put everything in that Bach wrote (creatively dividing it over the 5 voices), and then added some more in the 4rd voice which represents the continuo. The great thing about arranging baroque music is that the continuo part was never written out by the composer, so performers just do what they please. I based part of my continuo part in bwv1042 on what Bach wrote for the harpsichord concerto bwv1054 (which is mostly the same but in the key of D major instead of E major). With classical music with richer orchestration an arrangement is more about carefully selecting what to keep and what to omit (in reducing something like 25 parts to 5 or 6).
In this arrangement the voices 1, 2, 3, 4 can be heard from left to right (and bass is in the center).
1: AKKO Super de Luxe, LM 8va
2: Bugari 508/ARS/C, LM 8va
3: Hohnner Artiste XS, M
4: Bugari 540/ARS/C, LM
Bass: Pigini bassonn C39, LM
(The previously posted concerto had the same instrumentation and registers.)

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
nagant27 said:
Very nice playing Paul.  Bach really sounds good on accordion by a very competent player like you.  You ever do any scarlatti sonatas?  They also sound great on accordion in my opinion.  
I also love that picture.  The more accordions in a pic the better.

I do not yet have any Scarlatti in my list of arrangements. I have played Scarlatti if I remember correctly, but that was while studying the piano, over 40 years ago... (my memory doesn't quite go that far in great detail).

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Clever boy that Bach.... And he'd be well pleased his legacy has been protected in your arms... Thanks

nagant27

Reaction score
Interesting Paul. I only remember Scarlatti sonatas when studying piano as well. The sonatas were not like the later traditional sonatas we know with multiple movements and form. They were short pieces with two halves that repeated. They were catchy and I think would be great on accordion.

Jim2010

Site Supporter
Reaction score
nagant27 pid=72645 dateline=1591469706 said:
Interesting Paul.  I only remember Scarlatti sonatas when studying piano as well.  The sonatas were not like the later traditional sonatas we know with multiple movements and form.  They were short pieces with two halves that repeated. They were catchy and I think would be great on accordion.

They also translate to the classical guitar very well.

Here is one for solo guitar performed by John Williams:

Here is one for duo guitars performed by Ida Presti and Alexandre Lagoya:

stickista

Reaction score
Lovely!
So were all of the tracks done RH on the various instruments?

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
stickista said:
Lovely!
So were all of the tracks done RH on the various instruments?

Yes, I already listed which accordion for which track earlier in this thread.
Using different instruments produces a more interesting overall sound than a multitrack recording all done with the same instrument.