• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine Roland do some pretty tasty keyboard amplifiers  :)
Is it for home practice or do yoo I tend to play outside or in larger venues?

A Roland FR-8X is not dependent on any specific amp.  Rather, the better question is... what are your needs?  Are you filling a small basement, a 50,000 person stadium or something somewhere in between?

For my needs, I have 3 setups:

- No external amplification, but if I need a volume boost, use the Audio Boost option.

- If I need to fill a small venue, say 40-50 people, I have a 150 watt Altec Lansing computer speaker setup

- If I need something more, I use a Roland Jazz Chorus 160 amp, this is good for 100-200 people venues

- If I need even more, I use a pair of Bose 802E in a stereo configuration with 500 watt amps.  I have filled rooms loud enough to accommodate 500 people easily enough with that setup.

What do you need?  Also, do you require a mono or stereo setup?

HERE are discussions on my blog site about my small and medium setups.

JerryPH pid=67940 dateline=1572425466 said:
A Roland FR-8X is not dependent on any specific amp.  Rather, the better question is... what are your needs?  Are you filling a small basement, a 50,000 person stadium or something somewhere in between?

For my needs, I have 3 setups:

- No external amplification, but if I need a volume boost, use the Audio Boost option.

- If I need to fill a small venue, say 40-50 people, I have a 150 watt Altec Lansing computer speaker setup

- If I need something more, I use a Roland Jazz Chorus 160 amp, this is good for 100-200 people venues

- If I need even more, I use a pair of Bose 802E in a stereo configuration with 500 watt amps.  I have filled rooms loud enough to accommodate 500 people easily enough with that setup.

What do you need?  Also, do you require a mono or stereo setup?

HERE are discussions on my blog site about my small and medium setups.

I been using the Bose S1 pro. It does and amazing job if you EQ more bass. Used it in a 150 venue to small senior homes. And for larger venues QSC k12. Found this stand for the small speakers like the Bose S1 pro. Fits in my keyboard case. 
https://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Sta...CqYK2f0M8J2p9Wy3OP2Bsf8xwiPHaPKBoC1A0QAvD_BwE

Hi
I use Yamaha DBR12 speakers and a small a Yamaha mixer.  Plenty grunt for halls, marquees etc.   One speaker is normally fine for a small venue.   The system offers a good compromise on sound quality, weight and price.
Positioning of the speakers is critical in getting a good sound at the venue.   Well worth some serious research.

Jibberin said:
Hi
I use Yamaha DBR12 speakers and a small a Yamaha mixer.  Plenty grunt for halls, marquees etc.   One speaker is normally fine for a small venue.   The system offers a good compromise on sound quality, weight and price.
Positioning of the speakers is critical in getting a good sound at the venue.   Well worth some serious research.

Keymn said:
Jibberin said:
Hi

good stuff!

I was hoping there is someone who doesn't play through a solid-state hifi amp and instead uses tubes or some other amp with different saturation with succes

for instance a Hohner Orgaphon

jozz said:
I was hoping there is someone who doesn't play through a solid-state hifi amp and instead uses tubes or some other amp with different saturation with succes

for instance a Hohner Orgaphon

That’s the spirit! Something with warmth! Those brown Magnatones were boss too in the 50s, 60s. The vibrato indeed a winner in these amps. Plug and play our accordions...?

2 Cerwin-Vega Earthquake speakers with 18” woofers, 2 Crown DC300 amps, 2 Countryman pickups. Quit messing around!

Hi there.    Regarding Roland Accordion amplification.     I agree with previous comment strings that  it really depends on the particular situation, room size, stage, playing solo or with others, vocalists  and the type of music being played.       

Generally the internal speakers are enough.   The FR8 have rated output of 2x 25 watts in the specs. 

But if you need further amplification, I would look at Roland series amps.  

The KC 200 is 30 watts  which is almost the same as the  internal Roland FR8 speakers. I think it's a waste of money.  The KC 400 is probably the best bet as it gives you the more Flexibility  to act as an amp or stage monitor.   The larger Roland amps have too much wattage, too loud for stage volumes and are heavy and cumbersome.   

But then again, what are you trying to achieve?  Having any amp behind you when playing to project accordion volume IS OK but not ideal.  OK for Soloist .....but if you have vocalist or other musicians it's probably better to go directly to the mixing board.   Also if you sing while playing and have a vocal mike,  you don't want the amp used for accordion sounds behind you, to  bleed into that vocal mike.   

If on large stage as soloist  or with other bandmates including vocalists,  it is more ideal to take the FR8 output to the house board.   Volumes can then be controlled by the sound engineer to get the perfect mix.   

One other important idea and concept to consider.  

A fellow accordion/keys player from Nashville that plays in a well know band,  turned me on to the Radial Key Largo portable mixing board a couple of years ago.  Great piece of equipment (ie a small floor mixer )  that allows for three dual stereo imputs; with XLR dual channel outputs to the house mixing board......and  dual channel separate outputs  to an acting stage monitor,,,,ie a Roland amp or other powered speakers  as noted below.    

I have personally used the Key Largo for my stage set up that connects my Korg Kronos 88 keys;  Nord Stage 3 and my Roland FX8 accordion to the house board using a KC 350 as only a stage monitor.  

You can also think about an option to use a small PA with Powered speakers for the mains.  

Just recently played an accordion strolling gig with a vocalist.  No amplification.  Just the Roland Accordion itself.  

Hope that helps.  

Knuckles  :cool:

Most 8X owners don't even know that from the factory, the amps are set to max out at about 1/2 power. Using the AUDIO BOOST option releases the full power of the accordion, making it a nice amount louder. ;)

As far as amplification, EQ is problematic to get the right sound out of the accordion outputs. As far as I know the accordion EQ settings are for the accordion built-in speakers.
An interesting experiment. I am running the accordion treble side through a Boss gt-1 pedal.
Check these sounds I got out of the accordion with choice of up 100 effects and EQ settings that can be routed on/off changed and has an expression pedal. Has pushbuttons, no midi on pedal.
What I did was run the bass out of accordion to separate channel and the treble output to the Boss. Have to turn off the accordion effects to get the separation. Using Beat Buddy as the drum machine. The accordion orchestration is guitar which the Boss pedal shaped to these sounds. The second song is using the tremolo on the pedal...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1po1e4a11xz0ivb/California Sun Beat Buddy.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bp00670axhxuii/Rebel Rouser Beat Buddy.wav?dl=0

I don't have a clue as to what I'm listening for, but both tracks sound great to me! :)

Larry,
“We’re a-out there a-havin’ Fun! In the warm California sun.”
Good on ya!

Brian Gubb said:
What amplifier is recommended for a FR 8x?

The main thing that is required for an accordion, and even more for the very versatile Roland, is faithful sound reproduction. You should not use something called a "guitar amplifier" because it may not do so well with other instruments. Decades ago we were struggling (in an accordion band) with good amplification, and after trying many things with mediocre sound we came to the conclusion we were better off with a "hifi" set, so we settled on a powerful audio amp and a pair of large hifi speakers as used in a (very large) living room. The sound was good.
Only much later did we discover the Bose L1 model 2 for faithful reproduction of accordion (and other) sound at high volume and with reduced risk of feedback (non-existent with the Roland of course). Furthermore, the Tonematch engine has an "accordion" preset which you should obviously only use for the accordion sound and bypass for other instrument simulations. It changes the equalizer so that in a large hall the accordion sound is good (and when you listen from very close to the speakers it does not sound that good, mainly as in too sharp). If's you not thinking of large concert halls but smaller venues there is a "mini" version of it that is more affordable. The Bose L1 is without a doubt the best amplification Bose ever made and easily beats any keyboard amplifier or many other solutions.

While this comment is 100% true for acoustic accordions, it won't ring true for digital accordions... because first of all, none of the accordion sounds are 100% accurate to start with, and second of all, most amps and Rolands have integrated equalizers so someone with a good ear will be able to make all the sounds that come out of a Roland V-accordion sound better than without it and can match most guitar amps to sound great with them and speaking from experience, I used to play on several different kinds of guitar amps like Traynors for example, and my current Roland Jazz Chorus JC-160 guitar amp sound really good.

Most importantly, people who are looking to spend a couple hundred dollars for an amp to play at home with are definitely not the kind of client that will have a Bose L1M2 on the list... at something like near $3000US with the Tone Match system, it is outside most people's budgets. For pro use, I will always consider Bose, but not so much the L1 because it is not stereo (unless you want to spend $6000 for two), and the Roland V-accordions are... and using a V-accordion in mono is like having a Ferrari but leaving it in first gear, you are not using the potential that is in there.

Having a stereo option for the amateur basement performances that could be very budget oriented (like well under $200), and in stereo for VERY little money is more than possible. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back