• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Aloha from Hilo

Hilobox

Reaction score
I am new and also old (76). We moved to Hawaii in 2016, bringing my Hohner Bravo III 72 from Salt Lake City, UT, which is my first recent machine. My parents bought me a subcompact 120 bass accordion in 1953 and I had lessons for a month, and it was soon sold. Sixty years later, while visiting my daughter in her artist loft, I saw her loft-mate’s dad’s accordion and tried it. I could still find the dimple on the C bass and play Skater’s Waltz! I was hooked. I can read music and know most chords by letter (played organ years ago), but memorizing is hard at my age. I took a few lessons in SLC, but found that frustrating. I can sight read if I have a chord letter. I am no musician for sure (my son is) , but playing brings me great joy. I added a mint Polverini C30 and a tiny Hohner Starlet. It’s the Bravo that I am least fond of—a few high clarinet reeds are slow on compression, so I need advice. There are no accordion shops here on Hawaii Island, but while in SLC I bought a rough Titano and successfully tuned several reeds, then gave it away when we moved. Finding this forum yesterday was Christmas in July for me! Mahalo nui loa and aloha!

Glad to see you here - lots of kind, informative folk.
Best to ask your question in the 'How do I...' thread where your request will get traction.

Welcome, I think that you find the members friendly and helpful. You can read music and you "cheat " a little bit playing the basses. Why worry about that? Enjoy yourself and play with joy, you don't need to prove anything to anyone. Sometimes people post messages about the "proper" way of doing things, but I wouldn't care too much because the goal is to create nice music for your own enjoyment.

All things considered, you won't regret the decision to join.

Mahalo! What an encouraging reply. And there are actually two of us in Hawaii? By the way, I’ve not noticed any accordion jokes so far. My boss at the University of Utah had played the accordion growing up, and he still occasionally emails me accordion jokes. i promise to behave—you can’t squeeze one out of me.

Back