• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Affordable Nippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some accordion owners wishing to inspect or repair internal parts of their box will in most cases have to pull the bellows pins. Many don't have the
proper pliers and mark up the exterior finish and in some cases damage the pins. End nippers are the tool of choice for this but many owners because
of their limited usage and high price refrain to purchase one.
A customer recently watching me remove the pins of his box to inspect the interior reeds commented " That's a nice tool, are they affordable?"
Well I recommended a set I've found that are indeed affordable --

Hi Jim. Do you create a suitable notch in the tool to minimise the damage to the pins? Wouldn’t want to cut the heads off completely if we are too ham fisted.

I have sets that I have modified with filing but these days find myself using an unaltered set of nippers most of the time. Just be carefull.

Last edited:
An alternative is to file the cutting edge down a bit if you don't have the equipment to file a hole.
The end cutters I use now won't cut paper so they're fairly safe even in my hands.

Hi Jim. Do you create a suitable notch in the tool to minimise the damage to the pins? Wouldn’t want to cut the heads off completely if we are too ham fisted.
The notch can easily be created using a Dremel with a small grinding/milling stone attachment.
I got a "nipper" from Carini (carinidena.it) but I do not remember whether it already had a notch cutout or whether I did that myself with the Dremel. In any case, the one I have will last me a lifetime so I don't expect to ever need another (unless I permanently misplace it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back