• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Accordion repair course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
2,704
Reaction score
1,191
Location
USA
Does anyone have info or recommendations on an accordion repair course taught in Italy? The only one I have seen is the "Accordion Repair Academy." Any thoughts? Thank you!
 
W

wout

Guest
Ive been there and i can say its worth it. Maybe if you are already into repairing you dont learn that much in the tier 1 course but it certainly helps especially if you are using a wrong technique. Also the visits to the factory, the little stores, walking around in castelfidardo, the nice people and all but not least being involved with yoir accordion all day make it worth it. I reckon tier 2 and 3 are more relevant for us DIY persons with accordionrevival at our disposal. It supposed to be more focused on tge art of tuning and sorts.
 

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
2,704
Reaction score
1,191
Location
USA
Thanks Wout! Seems kind of pricey, but I suppose it has to be to be good. Were most of the students and instructors Italian? Was it taught in English? I suspect that, even though I know the basics, they would prefer you start in Tier 1. Did you stay nearby in an AirBnB or ???? Thanks for the info!
 

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
4,403
Reaction score
1,577
Location
Eindhoven, the Nnetherlannds
wout post_id=55000 time=1517517499 user_id=1654 said:
Ive been there and i can say its worth it. Maybe if you are already into repairing you dont learn that much in the tier 1 course but it certainly helps especially if you are using a wrong technique. Also the visits to the factory, the little stores, walking around in castelfidardo, the nice people and all but not least being involved with yoir accordion all day make it worth it. I reckon tier 2 and 3 are more relevant for us DIY persons with accordionrevival at our disposal. It supposed to be more focused on tge art of tuning and sorts.

Sounds interesting. Can you point us to the source information? Now that I am retired I may have time for such a vacation (but might not have the funds for it...).
 
W

wout

Guest
Well, the woman who gives the course is called elke ahrenholtz and is the manager/owner? Of victoria accordions. She is actually german but speaks italian and english as well. Its mandatory to do tier 1 before tier 2. I think tier 1 might be a bit boring for a man with your experience paul. Its mainly focussed on cleaning and making small repairs. But i liked that the course was not like'this is the planning so we follow it' type of thing. If your instrument has problems your going to try to solve it. Theres also a little tuning involved with a experienced tuner. It was very interesting to learn how much a bad valve can influence the sound even its a minor problem. The tuner knew immediately what the problem was with mine. The valve was slightly archef thats why my note bended. You also go to the cagnoni factory, you can play wonderful poetas, you go to carini dena and have lots of spaghetti :). I stayed in a place through booking.com right next to the victoria store and from my window looked right into the workshop :). Would love to go again for tier 2 but for the coming time im very occupied with my business.
 

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
1,750
Reaction score
516
Location
The Netherlands
wout post_id=55012 time=1517565854 user_id=1654 said:
If your instrument has problems your going to try to solve it. Theres also a little tuning involved with a experienced tuner.

Oh this sounds great! What if the box is pretty beat up, like my Egmond needs a complete overhaul (de-rusting etc.)...
 

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
2,704
Reaction score
1,191
Location
USA
Thanks more Wout. Heres the course website Paul:

https://www.accordioncraftacademy.com/en/

I wonder if you have to bring an accordion. I will be traveling from the US and not planning to bring an instrument, but could probably find one there that needs help.

Could you please tell me the name of the place you stayed (you can do so in private). I looked on booking.Com last night and saw several spots.

Hey Jozz, your accordion sounds perfect for the course!

Thanks!
 

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
4,403
Reaction score
1,577
Location
Eindhoven, the Nnetherlannds
jozz post_id=55015 time=1517568658 user_id=2600 said:
wout post_id=55012 time=1517565854 user_id=1654 said:
If your instrument has problems your going to try to solve it. Theres also a little tuning involved with a experienced tuner.

Oh this sounds great! What if the box is pretty beat up, like my Egmond needs a complete overhaul (de-rusting etc.)...

Sounds great. I wouldnt be bringing my AKKO for the first tier, but probably my sisters over 50 year old Crucianelli super video which has gone over 50 years without any maintenance and is quite dirty, has broken and missing parts, and needs not only cleaning but also rewaxing, revalving and tuning...
 
W

wout

Guest
A complete overhaul might be a bit ambitious to go for! They also have sone old accordions there for practice. You can see foto's of me as well in the 2016 april tier 1 course the guy with long hair and a blue shirt :) i will look up the place. It was owned by a nice guy named luigi who gave me an espresso every morning :)
 
G

Geronimo

Guest
Folks, how many full-scale overhauls of an instrument in bad shape do you expect a course with one teacher can accomplish? You won't magically end up with a fixed instrument in less time than an experienced repair man can achieve on its own. The best you can hope for is that you learn enough that you'll be able to carry on fixing up such an instrument back at home.
 

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
2,704
Reaction score
1,191
Location
USA
Thanks guys!
 

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 7, 2017
Messages
1,750
Reaction score
516
Location
The Netherlands
Geronimo post_id=55023 time=1517574395 user_id=2623 said:
Folks, how many full-scale overhauls of an instrument in bad shape do you expect a course with one teacher can accomplish?

Well you have no, and you can get yes! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Top