• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Accordion in different kinds of music

JeffJetton

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Is the accordion suitable for rock or heavy metal kind of music?

Depends on what you mean by "suitable". It is not an instrument that is typically associated with either of those genres, and it would be considered highly unusual for a rock (particularly harder rock) or heavy metal band to have an accordion player as one of their members.

That said, it's not unprecedented. The Who's "Squeezebox" famously features an accordion, but this is a deviation from their usual sound--there's also banjo on it, for example. Often when a rock band does feature accordion, it's on a song that's a stylistic departure (see also Styx's "Boat on a River")

Several songs by John Cougar Mellencamp have accordion in them ("Paper in Fire", "Cherry Bomb"), as his style during that period was intentionally a lighter, folk-influenced rock style sometimes called "heartland rock". The accordion works very well in that sort of thing.

As far as heavy metal goes, I can't think of any tunes with accordion in them. But AC/DC does have a song with bagpipes on it, so I don't see why accordion couldn't be done too!

Now if your question is "can existing rock and heavy metal tunes be played on accordion", as a solo piece for example, the answer is "probably", with varying degrees of success, depending on the song and one's arranging/adapting skills.

TomBR

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It can be done I think. Try this video and channel.
I don't read the script or language but this is a link to accordion (bayan) being used in a rock setting.
Tom

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Search:
Sweden heavy metal accordion or Folk Rock
or
Youtube

KORPIKLAANI - Ennen​

or Bill Haley & The Comets

Last edited:

vivdunstan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any tune can be played on the accordion. Though some are better suited than others.

Iโ€˜ve recently been arranging The Final Countdown by Europe for the accordion. I posted a thread about it here a while back. It includes a link to an audio recording of my progress so far.

LibraryJoe

Reaction score