• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion Concertina ID

D

Debbelle

Hi, I have researched this Del Monti Concertina (I think that's what it's called because it's smaller than a regular accordionj). I cannot find anything on it anywhere. It is really pretty, and it sounds great. It's numbered L 852/225 Made In Italy. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1366Copy 2.JPG
    DSCF1366Copy 2.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • DSCF1370Copy 2.JPG
    DSCF1370Copy 2.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 1,233
  • DSCF1371Copy 2.JPG
    DSCF1371Copy 2.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 1,231
  • DSCF1373Copy 2.JPG
    DSCF1373Copy 2.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 1,232

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is an accordion - not a concertina. Nice looking instrument. It's a 'compact' or 'lady' size - c.17" keyboard vs 19.25" full size 41 key.
I've seen these Del Montis listed as manufactured by Scandalli but not sure if that's true or not.
I'd guess c1960s but an inexpensive/student quality accordion. c$250 for a nice one on a good day, but note there are problems with the one in your picture.

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
(Edit - typed at the same time as Soulsaver)

Hi and welcome Debelle. I notice a couple of "Del Monti" accordions listed on the internet as being made by the Scandalli company which is a pretty well known Italian accordion manufacturer. It has been, and still is common for manufacturers to sell products inder a variety of brand names. I am not a Scandalli expert so I can't say for sure but this accordion does look "Scandalli-esque" so I would believe it. There is probably some one on here with a better answer there.

Anyway, since you say it is smaller, I would still call it a "piano accordion." Sometimes these smaller models are called "compact," "student," or ( in the old days ) "ladies." They often feature a limited set of reed banks, and hence, sound choices but are nice in the sense that they are lighter, smaller and easier to handle than bigger ones.

That said, your Del Monti appears to be a nice, vintage (circa 1970, give ot take 23 years), made in Italy piano accordion. Whether or not it is a Scandalli, the quality could range from really nice to sort of run of the mill, the more important thing would be the overall state of repair of the internal parts. I notice a few bass buttons are depressed, that is a repair that will have to be looked into, it may be that they were pushed down in shipping and will come back up with gentle prodding with a soft stick. Else a more serious repair will have to be done.

Anyway, if you ask here we will give you advice on fixing it up. The main thing is that I hope you enjoy the accordion you have acquired and it brings you happiness and beautiful music. Tom

D

Debbelle

Soulsaver said:
It is an accordion - not a concertina. Nice looking instrument. Its a compact or lady size - c.17 keyboard vs 19.25 full size 41 key.
Ive seen these Del Montis listed as manufactured by Scandalli but not sure if thats true or not.
Id guess c1960s but an inexpensive/student quality accordion. c$250 for a nice one on a good day, but note there are problems with the one in your picture.

Regarding you comment about problems with my accordion - are you referring only to the 3 missing buttons? Or do you see something else, as well? Please inform. Thank you.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm referring to the missing bass buttons - but in my experience missing buttons are usually a sign of abuse of some sort so are often accompanied by other problems.

kimric

Reaction score
This instrument was indeed made by scandalli. These will sometimes loose buttons, as the button and it's arm are held in place with a little rubber bushing. The bushing dries out after 40/50 years and the buttons fall out. These can be replaced by heat shrink, but you will have to get donor buttons from another scandalli.