• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simonking

I just wondered how many members of this forum go to accordion clubs? Either as dedicated playing members or just casual visitors. Clubs in the UK seems to be quite unevenly distributed, with loads in parts of the North West and South East, a few in the midlands, very few in the South West region and none in Bristol, where I live.

I've been going to a club that meets up only 3 or 4 times a year and all the other people there are, well, to put it politely, several years into retirement and range from I'd guess 25-60 years older than me. Nothing wrong with that of course (I made friends with a chap who is nearly 90, but shares my musical preferences) but some more younger players would certainly be appreciated!

What is everyone else's experience of accordion clubs?

I think the age of club members there is more interest in boxes amongst what some would view as 'old buggers''. However many of thee 'old buggers' myself included (71 next month) started playing in our teens and so have been playing since we were 'young buggers'. Sadly the box has lost favour amongst younger people and this may be because of a ashortage of teachers, interest in electoronic music or many other things. There are of course exeptions - Betty Pollard in Manchester has a thriving 'club' for children to teenagers and offers lessons and loan instruments etc. There is an increasing interest in playing the box in the folk world although admittedly there is a bias towards the older age group. The highly acclaimed Folk Music 4 yr degree course At Newcastle University has produced some outstanding young box players anad offers high qualitybox tuition as one of the instrumental choices .

george

I dont think its the older peeps per se - it's people who have the spare time and disposable dosh for an expensive instrument.. and guess what - it aint the young.
I fancy going to a club but I haven't got round to it 'cos I've always doing something else. But I wouldn't mind getting a close look or even listen & maybe a play on a few accordions without a salesman watching...
And I've got a choice of 2 -Chester & Stoke (North Staffs?) as I'm about midway between..

Soulsaver has a good point about the young. They do not have loads of cash for an expensive instrument.
However, they manage for fork out 500 for a phone and 300 for a playstation and 100 per month on gaming subscriptions and phone costs. Thus it's a question of priorities. They could find themselves a nice instrument for 500 to start with but they have already spent it.
By the way, here in Holland there are a fair few clubs dotted around the country, more in the east for some reason.
I did look into them but most are firmly aimed at forming an accordion orchestra but I am not sure I fit into such a group as orchestra playing is very different than solo or small group playing.

Accordion clubs vary from a few people doing their own thing whatever that may be to larger clubs catering for those of varying abilities and musical tastes, eg the well known Stockport Accordion Club has both a 'bans' and an'orchestra'.

Where you live also makes a ,sometimes big, difference as to whether or not you can attend a club and as an example living on Anglesey I am way out of range for any.

However their is a lot of pleasure ,aand possible new friendships, (in person rather than on t'internet!) to be had by getting together regularly or ocasionaly with a few other players and maybe even players of other instruments either in somebodys house or theba;k room of a pub.

By mysteriously withholding information in our profiles as to where we live we may be missing the chance to get together with other like minded individuals that live within practical travelling distance. I am not suggesting publishing addresses but just a reasonable indication of area eg Anglesey, Wigan, Oxford or wherever. It may even be possible to have a ''would like to get together with other palyers yes/no box on the profiles. Contact would initialy be via personal forum messages so precise address etc would not be made public.

Its at least 200% more enjoyable playing with others than it is on your own!

george :)

i wish there was some clubs near me as the impression i get with some remote contact is that some are very good and quite well organised and good FUN

some are struggling though with dwindling numbers to keep the numbers up and to encourage the youth members

there is a mix of abilities at these clubs from beginners to people who can play any tune at the drop of a hat from memory

smdc66 said:
i wish there was some clubs near me as the impression i get with some remote contact is that some are very good and quite well organised and good FUN

some are struggling though with dwindling numbers to keep the numbers up and to encourage the youth members

there is a mix of abilities at these clubs from beginners to people who can play any tune at the drop of a hat from memory

Whats ahppening to older members?... No, dont answer that.. :)

Glenn said:
However, they manage for fork out 500 for a phone and 300 for a playstation and 100 per month on gaming subscriptions and phone costs.
And cigarettes...

Disposable cash AND the time needed.

Does anyone fancy compiling a list of accordion clubs along with contact details, etc? Could be a good additional resource for the forum.

Knobby said:
Does anyone fancy compiling a list of accordion clubs along with contact details, etc? Could be a good additional resource for the forum.

Very good idea, I would be happy to do something, although I am quite busy so may not be as quick as Id like, if anyone else wants to do it rather than me that would be fine. There are lists out there on websites and magazines relating to England and Scotland. If members from other countries would like to send or post links to similar lists we could accumulate it and do it by country.

I was at one last night, enjoyed myself (and, relating to the discussion on age, five school age lads played). Ill say a bit more about it later on in the day.

Matt, google ''list of uk accordion clubs'' for a lot of info to start a list!

geroge

You know , sometimes I think we may spoon feed each other here a bit...... :D

If there is a list of UK accordion clubs ALREADY on google...then ,erm, maybe look it up ? ! ?

There are tons of resources out there , without tying up Knobby and Pippa , Anyanka and any others who are / have helped out , guys and gals who have found and highlighted stuff...........

p.s Admin ....(and it is probably my fault and my sceptic bloody ear, which is throbbing mercilessly )...there was a list o0r a section of resources which I can no longer find .... it will be me but if anyone can point it out I would be most humbly crawly and pleasantish in your direction.......for a bit.

Click on "Board Index" along the top menu. This will take you to the main forum list and the "Resources" section can be found there.

Thanks .....and by the way...I have had a go at compiling a list of Accordion Clubs.....thankless and soul destroying.....I have never come across such a shambles ....broken links , links that go elsewhere, out of date domains.......

<ATTACHMENT filename=Accordion Clubs.odt index=0>[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

also

http://www.accordionlinks.com/orchestra.html#orchestras:uk

These links work better than the ones from the web search engines I have been using ....does not compoot !! :hb

Why wont the file upload ?

Jarvo, you are right and I am a big believer in doing the minimum, I will try not to reinvent the wheel... but you are also right that the info out there is in a right mess, for obvious reasons really, many clubs with an ageing membership not necessarily into the internet, mostly operating by word of mouth / long standing personal connections, not in it for the money, so there might be something to be gained by bringing info together. Also it would serve a purpose of bringing people onto this forum when they find things on a search engine - which has got to be a good thing for everybody - and promote the clubs in a new setting - and make this forum more of a comprehensive resource. I may just end up banging my head against the wall like you, but it can't do any harm and there are one or two quick wins that might make it quicker.

I had not realised quite what a state some of the Club websites out there are in, I have given up just for the minute though mainly because I have an ear infection and my fractiousness is at an all time high....in fact I have just fallen outy with the caps lock button...er key....(too much Stradella) I think.....some of the big boy Clubs like Barnsley and Leyland do not have excuses for broken links as they are having their websites done by pros, but I take the point for the tiddlers.......any way I will give a hand on this despite my querolousness ...any help you need give us a heads up.....oh and this

http://www.accordionlinks.com/orchestra.html#orchestras:uk is quite useful....

Cheers

One Ear.........and that only works at 50%.....sheesh !

Matt Butcher said:
...many clubs with an ageing membership not necessarily into the internet, mostly operating by word of mouth / long standing personal connections...

I think this seems to be very true. I think as a club wanting more people to turn up, you definitely need to publicise at least your existence and some crucial details somewhere on the internet. Even the two accordion magazines operate by post only, having to fill out forms and send off cheques and things. I know for many older club members, this way of doing things is familiar but it seems a bit bonkers nowadays! Perhaps I should volunteer my time rather than just observe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back