• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion classes north east England (gateshead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

george garside

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Folkworks will be holding an absolute beginners accordion day on 7th sep and also run regular Tuesday evening intermediate classes at The Sage Gateshead. I can highly recommend them! http://www.thesagegateshead.org

george

george garside said:
Folkworks will be holding an absolute beginners accordion day on 7th sep and also run regular Tuesday evening intermediate classes at The Sage Gateshead. I can highly recommend them! http://www.thesagegateshead.org

george

£ 177 a year which works out about £5.00 an hour for three terms worth of an hours lesson every Tuesday except school holidays.....

plus a 90 minute round trip A69/A 1...........still, its the best and closest yet..........some serious thinking ............see it seems to be dedicated to folk....whereas I am not dedicated to it , just happy to give it a go ..........dilemma......

still, good spot George....that should have featured in my search engine....but did not !!

jarvo said:
it seems to be dedicated to folk....whereas I am not dedicated to it , just happy to give it a go

Give it a go, I think that you can get get a lot from “folk”, especially from the up-tempo jigs and reels, and the slow airs can produce some nice chord sequences.
Also, £5 a night is good for an evening class, you can pay more than that for basket weaving. :)

Nice One.....what "Gum Tree" ?

Who'd'a thought it ?

It's another 'classifieds' owned I believe by eBay...

My Missus took one look at the picture on the ad.............I think the words were "you are NOT....." :oops:

:hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb

jarvo said:
My Missus took one look at the picture on the ad.............I think the words were you are NOT..... :oops:

:hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb :hb

Hmm.. really “up a gum tree”.

BobM.

I believe that's Victoria Laurenson of NE3 Folk in the Gumtree ad.

'Also hailing from the Shetland Islands, Victoria Laurenson plays the accordion and has recently graduated from Newcastle University’s Folk and Traditional music degree where she studied the accordion under Ian Lowthian, Karen Tweed, Maireared Green and Angus Lyon who all influenced Victoria to play in a variety of styles and to hone her own musical style. Victoria twice won the accordion shield in the Shetland school’s music festival and has also travelled as far as Ghana and Sweden to perform. Victoria also recently recorded and performed with London based cockney klezmer band, Gorgeous George, adding to her scope of experience.'

£13 for half an hour seems quite reasonable as my son's piano lessons are £15 for the same.

With that type of experience, that price looks pretty reasonable to me too.

I contacted her today about a few lessons, so hopefully we can get something worked out. I feel like I need some input since I've never had a formal accordion lesson and am at the point where I could use a bit of direction with the bass.

When you go for your lessons, ask her if she wants to be included in our accordion tutors list. :tup:

I've a lesson booked for the 23rd Sept, and she said yes to being added to the tutor list.

A quick update - had a fab first lesson today with Victoria and found it very useful. Now I need to go away and work on my bellows technique and get a backstrap. Another in a couple of weeks... :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back