• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordion book: "Boomer at Midlife"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I just read this book, "Boomer at Midlife." It's a fictional novel about a guy who played accordion all his life, but works corporate and has a midlife crisis at 50. He quits his job to try his luck at becoming a zydeco player in New Orleans.

I liked it a lot, being as I could relate to the music and midlife aspects, obviously. As literature it is not great. It would improve with about 54% less words, but hey, I recommend it to you because it is available on kindle for 99 cents. You really can't go wrong!

Schultz gets the blues is sublimnal.... I saw it a month after i lost my old man and so wish i could have watched it with him... He taught me too appreciate everything from Al Bowly, Billie Holiday, Piaf, them great Italian Tangos, and i never knew till now... Miss him big time... My old boy would've been the washed up wasted Schultz.....
Happy New Year x

Sorry to hear that, Terry... Yes, definitely some overlap with Schultze but way different story. I love Schultze, he's my hero! I lost my dvd, but I do still have a version dubbed in Italian. Too bad the ending....

" Too bad the ending...."
Tom,
Presumably, Schultze died happy?
Often, when the script writer gets into a tight spot, the easiest solution is to kill off the hero ?

Yeah, Dingo, that pretty much sums it up ?.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I seem to recall thinking that you could interpret Schultze as having died earlier in the movie (certainly symbolically, but maybe even literally?), with the whole weird bayou stuff as being a sort of transitional purgatory in which he fulfills some unfinished parts of his life and learns to finally let go into the next stage of death.

That's way too cosmic for my poor brain, Jeff! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back