• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Accordeons Nitto

Prana

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a Paris-based accordion make called Nitto? I'm currently looking at a secondhand 4-row CBA, 120 bass arranged 3x3, probably 1970s, but am unable to find anything at all about the maker even on comprehensive-looking collectors' lists, other than a suggestion that they were popular in the 1940s and 50s. There are one or two photos from old secondhand ads on French sites, but that's it. There are a few Italian professional players named De Nitto, which might or might not be relevant.

Not easy to do hands-on checking at present, and I need to at least hear what it sounds like, since excessive musette wetness gives me neuralgia. But if I do go ahead, I'll also be looking for fingering guides to 3x3 bass, which I haven't seen anywhere. Any ideas?

Prana

Reaction score
Many thanks to Dunlustin for diagram and tip. Having now heard the beast over the phone, I'm going ahead, but still very interested in any information about the maker - possibly bought up by Maugein, but no reference on Maugein's site - and guides to using the third bass row.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you score this of ebay for 250 quid.... A steal.... If doesn't suit you let me know please.... @Prana
Or any questions re 3x3 feel free to ask and ill do best to help
Cheers Terry

Last edited:

Prana

Reaction score
Did you score this of ebay for 250 quid.... A steal.... If doesn't suit you let me know please.... @Prana
Or any questions re 3x3 feel free to ask and ill do best to help
Cheers Terry
Don't recognise that price, but certainly very good value. I basically traded it in for a Weltmeister whose sound I'd grown to hate. I'm no expert, but I think it's gorgeous: LMMM, smooth and mellow. Many thanks for offer of help; on experience so far, I don't think the third bass row or the absence of diminisheds will pose a problem for now, at my level. Can't find any technical issues, though when the lockdown eases I'll take it to a local repairer for a once-over. But it irritates me not to be able to find anything about the maker. I contacted Maugein but they said they knew nothing about Nitto.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lovely... The diminished are there, just a step below where you'd expect.... Ie f7 plays equal to Cdim..... G7 plays equal to Ddim etc.....
Third row is nice addition as out having to use the pinkie for the flat 7th..... And definitely makes the flat 3rd accessible...
Enjoy

Last edited: