• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A new beginning (I hope so)

There is a book called "Mastering Accordion Technique: a new approach to accordion playing based on the Alexander Technique" by
Claudio Jacomucci and Kathleen Delaney. I have a copy , but I haven't gotten around to reading it. I bought a stack of books online and have been going through them over the past year or two. I wonder if anyone on the forum has any thoughts if it may help with avoiding injuries? It isn't an etude book, rather, my understanding is that it's text about the Alexander technique and it's application to accordion playing.

I have that book and his straps as well.
The book is two parts, one about accordion technique generally from Jacomucci, the other about AT applied to musicians from Delaney. I haven't worked through all of it yet. The straps are odd, but the hip belt is a real game changer for weight distribution.

I recently realized I am almost always tense. My bayan teacher pointed this out when I started taking lessons last year. I gave myself tendonitis in both hands after a particularly intense couple of days of practice in October. I am about 90% recovered and have slowly been getting back to playing. I have had a few AT lessons with a local practitioner to try to learn to avoid reinjury. The general gist seems to be learning how you move your body in strain-inducing ways, then relearning how to do them in less straining ways. Pretty hard to do, in my experience so far.

A new one... Tomorrow I will go to Stocco to rent this one. The arm pain is still there. Not too painful, fortunately. So I want to try with a "bigger" accordion. The size I will buy if I was in good health. Let's see. Unfortunately, I can play only 30 min a day so my progress is quite slow...

Attachments

• IMG-20220616-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220616-WA0000.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 5
Beautiful Stocco! These seem very popular in the liscio and ballo gruppo. I hope jt goes real well for you Ric.

A new one... Tomorrow I will go to Stocco to rent this one. The arm pain is still there. Not too painful, fortunately. So I want to try with a "bigger" accordion. The size I will buy if I was in good health. Let's see. Unfortunately, I can play only 30 min a day so my progress is quite slow...
"Easy does it" applies to this situation, Ric - the "No gain without pain" is wholy innappropriate in your case.
From my reading on the topic, the B griff is less of a strain on right arm articulation than the C griff, which is why I chose that layout.
I wish you well in your efforts.

That looks like a nice instrument. Is it 2 or 3 treble reeds? I hope it works out for you.

NickC, there is an e-book "Play your accordion without pain" by John Bonica; available from musicforaccordion.com which may be of some help in looking after yourself.

Back