• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A Love Song for February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyanka

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Yes, I missed out January because I was curled up at the back of the cave with the other bears, snoring... :oops:
But contrary to some rumours I have NOT given up on the Tune of the Month. Im changing the format a little though, to give you more choices: well have themes rather than specific tunes. Lets see if that gets more people posting recordings!

Valentines Day is coming up, so Im asking you all to learn & record your favourite love song for the occasion, if youre in the mood. Jarvo is months ahead of this with his many version of Thats Amore of course!​

If youd like to be given a specific tune, then have a go at My Love is Like a Red Red Rose. Theres a version with chords here: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/scottish-folk-music/007179.HTM

<SIZE size=85>Photo from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=1871&picture=red-rose&large=1

That rose Anyanka posted reminded me of a love song recorded by the late Lou Carter -- - nice muted trumpet and bassoon accordion.

well ill kick this off with a tune that i started learning 3 to 4 weeks ago......

possible a little amateurish and its my 1st fox trot 2/4 rhythm

constructive critique welcomed as struggle with combining this new bass rhythm with melody and possibly timing a bit

its in the key of f and was also wondering if this is a good key to sing along to and also does anyone know what the original song s key was (sung by rocco granata)

the words if you want to sing along: :)

Mi sono innamorato di Marina
Una ragazza mora ma carina
Ma lei non vuol saperne del mio amore
Cosa faro per conquistarle il cuor

Un giorno lho incontrata sola sola
Il cuore mi batteva mille allora
Quando le dissi che la volevo amare
Mi diede un bacio e lamor sboccio

Marina, Marina, Marina
Ti voglio al piu presto sposar
Marina, Marina, Marina

O mia bella mora
No non mi lasciare
Non mi devi rovinare
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

O mia bella mora
No non mi lasciare
Non mi devi rovinare
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

Marina, Marina, Marina
Marina, Marina, Marina

O mia bella mora
No non mi lasciare
Non mi devi rovinare
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

O mia bella mora
No non mi lasciare
Non mi devi rovinare
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

translation
=
Ive fallen in love with Marina
A brunette but a cute girl
But she doesnt want to know about my love
What will I do to conquer her heart

One day I met her alone
My heart was beating a thousand beats a minute
When I said to her that I wanted to love her
She gave me a kiss and love blossomed

Marina, Marina, Marina
I want to marry you as soon as possible
Marina, Marina, Marina

O my beautiful brunette
No dont leave me
You musnt ruin me
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

O my beautiful brunette
No dont leave me
You musnt ruin me
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

Marina, Marina, Marina
Marina, Marina, Marina

O my beautiful brunette
No dont leave me
You musnt ruin me
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

O my beautiful brunette
No dont leave me
You musnt ruin me
Oh, no, no, no, no, no

Good one SMDC66..left a comment at the 'cloud , but you never know if it sticks there...yes , good job....

CJ

Sounds good smdc! Cool song, too, I wondered which "marina" you were playing. Ok, I think your timing and general playing is right on. If you are looking for suggestions, might I respecfully say that the bass seems a little repititious at times. Possibly you could break it up a little by skipping some beats, playing a chord for a measure or stopping it all together for a half a measure or whatever. Or even use a different reed set so it is a little quieter relative to the treble.

I am not a singer but in bands I've been in it seems like choice of key is a personal choice of the singers, some people just seem to like certain keys. There seems to be some songs where there is sort of a traditional key, but singers will even want to move them too. Anyway, in my humble experience F seems to be not as common, but this may be that it seems to be not as popular in the types of music I've happened to play, but I don't see why it wouldn't be just a fine key. maybe some singers here will enlighten us.

I hope that is helpful and thanks for recording and kicking this off. Tom

Tom said:
1)bass seems a little repititious at times
2)a different reed set so it is a little quieter relative to the treble.
3)F seems to be not as common
4)hope that is helpful Tom

1)yer that is what annoys me! but didnt (dont?) have the skill set / confidence to do anything different but will try and experiment a bit now i know the tune better
2)that is my quieter bass reed set so dont have other options
3)interesting
4)most helpful :) constructive criticism always welcome

Tom said:
1)bass seems a little repititious at times
2)a different reed set so it is a little quieter relative to the treble.
3)F seems to be not as common
4)hope that is helpful Tom

1)yer that is what annoys me! but didnt (dont?) have the skill set / confidence to do anything different but will try and experiment a bit now i know the tune better
2)that is my quieter bass reed set so dont have other options
3)interesting
4)most helpful :) constructive criticism always welcome[/quote]

1) Listen to this, which has a typical 2 in the bar bass and rhythm. The bass is playing a Tonic and a Dominant” bass note, ie, the 5th of the scale in the same bar, which adds more depth. Also, if you can play half a scale to join the chords together while the melody is on a long note, it adds interest. For example, From a C rhythm line to an F, go CCDEF of single line bass and then carry on in F.

I finally got Soundcloud installed on my samsung galaxy android phone and can now listen to members tunes. Having just started back playing again, I found your tune quite an inspiration. I thought it was really tuneful in its simplicity. It gave me a lot of encouragement to keep going.

Having heard a lot of folk music in far out places, I felt it really captured the heart of the tune and could really imagine dancing to it.

I especially liked the accordion sound, what is it?

Thanks, it's given me the nudge to record something.

nathen

nathen said:
an inspiration. I thought it was really tuneful in its simplicity. It gave me a lot of encouragement
... could really imagine dancing to it.

I especially liked the accordion sound, what is it?
nathen

i presume you are referring to my little tune played on my concerto 111 s , 2 middle reeds to start and 2 middle and lower reed register to finish(see profile pic)

i am gob smacked a bit if so as didnt expect such nice comments or to give any inspiration as i generally seek it

the tune is a classic italian tune from the 50s and its one of those tunes where if you play it to a crowd that likes or appreciates italian music you will get people dancing, or singing or both

good luck, and look forward to hearing some of your tunes nathen (and others) in the cloud

BobM said:
The bass is playing a Tonic and a Dominant” bass note, ie, the 5th of the scale in the same bar, which adds more depth.

Nice tidy playing for an 11 year old. With a root and dominant bass.......

thanks bobm for the demo as it helps understand the topic

from the demo seems like a triangular pattern of bass playing

smdc66 said:
thanks bobm for the demo as it helps understand the topic. From the demo seems like a triangular pattern of bass playing

She’s using a 4:3 fingering, which easily includes the dominant bass note (that I keep banging on about), without having to change the hand shape. If you can master this, you’re not far from being able to play a lot of different rhythms, as the notes sit right under the fingers, as do a few scale notes which will join the chords together. It only takes few small elements put together to create an interesting LH part. (I use 3:2 when 4:3 doesn’t work.)

BobM

Okay ...I dont know if this is a proper Love Song as it seems to be very open to interpretation...some think its about a suddenly and inexplicably ended love affair , others think its just about the maelstrom of the mind in a turbulent life....

All I know is that its got the words circle and lover in it which fits the song of the week (Season of the Ukulele103 as they refer to it over there) on the Ukulele Underground ...Songs with Geometric Shapes in either the title or the lyric.......and the requirements of this , our ToTM.........

If you dont agree ...I will do another one :twisted:

So on Sunday I printed off the Ultimate Guitar Tab lyric and chord sheet ( copyright thread eat your heart out ) and I think I have a twofer one....some ukulele and some accordion...on one song, for each forum. ;)

(Sorry about the singing ...thats really s***) :tdown: Oh yes ...and there is a definite mouth wobble at about 2:53 but apart from its really pretty dire ....

:ch

I'm seriously impressed - two instruments AND vocals. Thank you for posting that! And yes, the touch of Tom Waits is an improvement on the professional versions I've heard as it distracts from the words...

(I have to confess that this song is joint winner of my personal Worst Lyrics Ever award, together with McArthur Park)

This one deserves to go viral.

Anyanka said:
I'm seriously impressed - two instruments AND vocals. Thank you for posting that! And yes, the touch of Tom Waits is an improvement on the professional versions I've heard as it distracts from the words...

(I have to confess that this song is joint winner of my personal Worst Lyrics Ever award, together with McArthur Park)
I've never understood why people listen to the lyrics of song. It only distracts from the music.

A musician tends to listen to the music for entertainment - A non-musician will tend to listen to the lyrics for entertainment. It's just difference's in a persons musical education and taste . JIM D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back