• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

A bit warm here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
A bit warm here!

Currently, it’s 45 degrees C, heading for a maximum of 46 degrees C!

Accordion, anyone? :)

As I read this, it is -8C and snowing... and a predicted -22C within the next few days. If it gets too warm for you come on down here, we can help chill things for you... lol

I’d love that, Jerry!
Unfortunately, we’re in for three more days of up to 47 dogs C!

Don't worry about the accordion. It's best not to play it at this temperature, but if you just store it the wax should hold.

Good advice, Paul!
I’ll take it :)
There’s a cool change expected around sunset today, lowering the temperature from around 47 down to 27 degrees C: I can’t wait!

Actually, got to 48.6 C (119.48 F) today, but cool change on the way!
Estimated overnight minimum is 17 degs C (62.6 F): yippee! :D

We also have 27 wildfires burning in various locations about our state, with two firefighter casualties  in the state of New South Wales, where thing are far more dire :(

Too hot! Good luck to you, Dingo, and to all of the firefighters.

debra said:
Don't worry about the accordion. It's best not to play it at this temperature, but if you just store it the wax should hold.

I was wondering about that myself. It appears as if the accordion market in Oz will be withering away at the same time that it goes under water in the Netherlands. Seriously, all of this sucks.

Thanks for your encouragement and good wishes everyone. :)
This extreme weather is just something we have to put up with pretty well every year unfortunately.
We have an acquaintance who’s very recently arrived on a work contact (he’s an emergency department doctor) from Britain and the weather has been a bit trying for him and his family  (wife and three kids). Luckily his house has effective air conditioning! :)
So far, my accordions (and I) have managed to survive several decades of similar seasonal heat waves  :)

fphlpsnrg said:
debra said:

I was wondering about that myself. It appears as if the accordion market in Oz will be withering away at the same time that it goes under water in the Netherlands. Seriously, all of this sucks.

Not too worry: for hot climates accordions are made with reed plates nailed onto the reed block (with a thin leather gasket in between), similar to Russian bayans (large reed plates, held in place with hooks). All of these keep working when wax would melt.
And in the Netherlands climate change may diminish the strength of the gulf stream which is keeping our sea level high, thus a decline will lead to lowering both our sea level and our temperatures. We do worry about ground levels going down due to excessive pumping out water (mainly for building skyscrapers).

"Not too worry: for hot climates accordions are made with reed plates nailed onto the reed block (with a thin leather gasket in between), similar to Russian bayans (large reed plates, held in place with hooks). All of these keep working when wax would melt."
Unfortunately, not so simple, Paul  :p
I'm pretty sure all my accordions actually hold their reeds in place with wax only  :(
Luckily, so far (quite a few decades) despite the vagaries of our weather conditions, nothing has come apart.
Of course, I refrained from playing in the peak of the heat wave .
Today, however, with the temperature back in the low 20s C, I played for an hour: all good! :)

About wax and weather conditions, my fettler here in Madrid says that the wax composition he uses here is different and more hot resistant than the wax used in more northern parts of Europe. ymmv.

Hi Dingo,

I have watched in horror a great deal of film footage from Australia over the last week or so. Good luck to you and your countrymen at this dangerous time ....... keep safe, and to hell with the accordion.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Dingo,

Things there appear to be getting worse, not better. I am appalled by the loss of life and terrible privations being visited on Australia at this time, and hope that it can be brought under control in a very short period of time.

UK news programmes are full of these terrible images, so the plight of Australia is foremost in our minds.

Keep Safe,

Stephen.

Gentleman Hawkins, as always, has expressed what is most important in this forum: our support for each other.
My family is moved to tears by what is happening in Australia. Stay safe. If concern and empathy alone could help, you’d be in the clear. We’re all hoping for the best.

Thanks Stephen H and Eddy for your considerate thoughts and kind wishes!
I hasten to reassure you that though many have lost property, livelihoods and even lives, in my near  vicinity we have been fortunately spared from the ravages of fire and have merely had to put up with the relatively minor discomfort of extreme weather conditions.
But sincere  thanks anyway, on behalf of the wider community! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back