• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

700 year old accordion from Tehran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maugein96

In the year 1396 myself and several colleagues were invited to apply to join the Iranian Air Force as civilian aircraft mechanics. At that time the UK Navy was actively involved in training elements of Iranian military personnel, and such opportunities were open to us. That was in the days before the last Shah was deposed.

The requirement to abstain totally from alcohol was a major consideration, and after we had disregarded the possibility of attempting to distil alcoholic beverages from Avcat and Avtur aviation fuel, most of us never took them up on their offer.

This was a pity as Esmail Jalili (dont say youve never heard of him!) was playing mighty fine accordion in Tehran at the time, and I never got to hear him.

This clip is from the year 1438, and the sound quality is pretty impressive for the sound systems of that era.

P.S. The years concerned are Islamic years. 1396 was our 1976, and 1438 was 2016. Dont try and work it out as Islamic years dont all contain 12 months.

I know Iran is in Asia, but there is still no board for World Music on the forum. It is just outside Europe, but I wouldnt like to fall the distance!

jozz post_id=62407 time=1535697797 user_id=2600 said:
where are the belly dancers? :b

Hi jozz,

Difficult to tell. Looks like there wasnt enough room in that studio, but there was also a Belly Dancers strike in 1438, so it may have been due to that. In those venues where they were obliged to dance on tables, all of the tables they danced on had to be checked for stability and placed at least 5 metres from the nearest plate glass window so that young kids couldnt see in and the ladies wouldnt break the tables or fall through the windows if they fell whilst dancing.

At least I think thats why they went on strike. My Farsi isnt all that great, especially when I try and read it from left to right! If Id joined the Iranian Air Force I probably wouldnt have had time to get fluent in it either, as all the foreign staff had to get out sharpish in 1398/1399, when the old Shah was deposed. I say old Shah. He was only in his late 50s at that time. A mere boy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back