• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

5 row button accordion

Peterkaz

Reaction score
My father recently purchased a 5 row button accordion, he tells me it is chromatic and German if that is of any importance. The reason I am on this forum is to ask the help of anyone who might be able to guide my father on the rudimentary aspects of playing this instrument I.e scales, fingering etc. My father turned 100 earlier this year and still plays his piano accordion but tells me he wants to learn the button instrument, a life long ambition of his. Being the age he is he is not that familiar with technology and forums in his eye is a new technology so I am writing this on his behalf. I recently contacted an accordion club and was given the link to this forum in which I was informed that maybe one of the members could help my father with his aspirations. If anyone has or knows of any tutorial books for playing this type of instrument I would be extremely grateful to hear from you.
thanks
Peter

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The origin of the accordion is not all that important to identify what type of keyboard it has. It could be C system or B system (or even something else). Every manufacturer makes accordions with all keyboard types. If the accordion came from a German player then it is most likely B system.
Learning to play the button accordion is a worthwhile passtime, but for adults it may take several years to become any good on it (the number of years increases with age). I speak from experience... it took me more than 5 years to become acceptably good on the button accordion (coming from piano accordion) and about 10 years for it to become intuitive.

Pipemajor

Reaction score
First of all, hats off to your dad for at last coming to his senses, seeing the error of his ways, and choosing the CBA. (y) :D.
There are many diagrams of keyboard layout and also instructional videos on the internet and you tube you could show him.
I changed over at the age of 75 and 6 years later I have now reached the stage of "Abysmal" but it doesn't matter. What matters is we are taking on new challenges and keeping the mind active. I would gladly offer to pop round and show the rudiments, but, as I have a wife with dementia it is difficult to arrange cover for her while I am out. Perhaps some other Cba playing member in the vicinity could help out?.

Peterkaz

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I have looked on line but my father prefers a book, he says it will be better for him, I personally would prefer him to watch something on iTube but it’s difficult to convince him of the benefits. It was nice to have an offer of help but the clubs local to my father in Woking don’t seem to have many or any button players. I will endeavour to persuade my dad to go on utube whilst I look for some tutorial material in book form. If there are any players local to my father willing to give up an hour of their time to put my dad on the right track we would both be extremely grateful.

godgi

Reaction score
Look for some Lars Holm material for tuition. It's available ex Norway/ Sweden.
I have hand written fingering notes if I want me to pm them to u.
Godgi

Chrisrayner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hullo Peter. I see that you are in Surrey, so am I. I am learning to play the C system CBA at the relatively youthful age of 72. If you father is also living in Surrey I can recommend a couple of teachers of both B and C system CBA. Since he is presumably very familiar with the left hand keyboard he only needs to learn the right hand keyboard. If he can get to see a teacher then I think this would be a good way to make a rapid start. Time is not on his side.

Peterkaz

Reaction score
Hullo Peter. I see that you are in Surrey, so am I. I am learning to play the C system CBA at the relatively youthful age of 72. If you father is also living in Surrey I can recommend a couple of teachers of both B and C system CBA. Since he is presumably very familiar with the left hand keyboard he only needs to learn the right hand keyboard. If he can get to see a teacher then I think this would be a good way to make a rapid start. Time is not on his side.
Thank you for the response it’s much appreciated, I think it would be helpful if my dad were to have some tuition, it would certainly speed the process up a little, as you said time is not on his side. The funny thing is my dad doesn’t look any older than when he turned ninety in fact he still acts the same. He does all the cooking and cleaning at home, my mum who turned 93 last week isn’t too mobile unfortunately but she does do Sunday lunch. The sad thing is I live 100 miles away so it’s very difficult to do anything for him but he is very independent and still does the shopping. He recently bought a road scooter to go further afield. Sadly he had to give up his car a couple of years ago, the insurance was getting too expensive.
If you could let me have contact details of tutors close to Woking it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Peter