• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hope its ok...trying to run the 21 tunes/21 weeks idea....will add a new tune each saturday till i crash onto this thread rather than create 21 different threads,,
week 1 and i'm trying messing with this theme....Stolen from Etta James..I'd rather go Blind...
next week a waltz...
I'm pretty sure people can also post their videos to youtube under the 'unlisted' option and then they are not open to public but only via the link posted on their thread ..hope that encourages others to post their progress reports without worrying they will be seen by uwanted eyes...

Good work Terry!!!! Busy week for me so I probably won't record, but working through my backing tracks and have learned the simple tune On Top of Old Smokey as requested by my friend who wants to put together another duo set list.

Very nice rendition! I'll follow along to this thread.

Very nice rendition! I'll follow along to this thread.
Well done Nick... I've changed name of thread to 'all contributors' so perhaps we should all use this thread rather thsn clog up the forum.... I'll change #number every Saturday as we move along
Hope that suits everyone.. Best wishes Terry

Reactions: Tom
Well done Nick... I've changed name of thread to 'all contributors' so perhaps we should all use this thread rather thsn clog up the forum.... I'll change #number every Saturday as we move along
Hope that suits everyone.. Best wishes Terry
Thanks Terry!

Good idea. I will delete my contribution from the other thread and re-post here:

I made a quick video of my progress yesterday. This weekend is going to be busy, so I'm not sure that I will have time to record. There are a few wrong notes and some timing issues, but it's getting there. I've also left out a lot of the ornamentation from the Venturi recording that I have. (I'll probably leave those out for a few more years....) My plan is to start working on next week's tune while I refine this one.

Nick,
Great tune: well played!??
Terry,
Good choice, nicely played!??

Both,
Thanks for sharing!??

Well done Tom, glad you've hopped aboard... Especially as was your brainchild.... ?

Thanks for sharing, Tom, and well played! Good idea to have some familiar tunes in the repertoire that everyone knows and can sing along with. Although in this case, I can't seem to remember the real lyrics, only the joke version! ("On top of spaghetti...")

Thanks Dan, and everyone. Really, I don't really know what else to play. I don't really aspire to virtuoso type stuff. I've tried a lot of Italian stuff but it doesn't seem quite right (beyond the traditional Finiculi, Tarantella, That's Amore, etc.). More contemporary stuff seems to be bland without singing. So, getting into a groove with the old, familiar stuff seems to be what I gravitate to. I'm open to suggestions....

Stay where you are @Tom ...it's ALL about the groove..... ??

I am late to the party, but will have Willie Coleman's jig ready for week two. I have now successfully practiced with headphones on the V-Accordion after the kids went to bed, and learned to use the built-in metronome! One reason I tend to be too fast and sloppy with my playing is that I didn't like my old metronome--it was beepy rather than percussive, and played a high note on the downbeat, which is totally backwards. The rhythm goes oom-pah-pah, not pah-oom-oom!
Really, I don't really know what else to play. I don't really aspire to virtuoso type stuff.
I intend to post a wide variety of styles for this challenge. Classic rock (Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream") is on the agenda for week 3, and waltz/video game music (Kass's Theme from Breath of the Wild) for Week 4. But there's nothing wrong with playing "jolly tunes," as George calls them. I will work on a few once I've gotten through my backlog of the half-learned or half-forgotten.

Thanks Dan, and everyone. Really, I don't really know what else to play. I don't really aspire to virtuoso type stuff. I've tried a lot of Italian stuff but it doesn't seem quite right (beyond the traditional Finiculi, Tarantella, That's Amore, etc.). More contemporary stuff seems to be bland without singing. So, getting into a groove with the old, familiar stuff seems to be what I gravitate to. I'm open to suggestions....
You can always sing :eek:

I am late to the party, but will have Willie Coleman's jig ready for week two. I have now successfully practiced with headphones on the V-Accordion after the kids went to bed, and learned to use the built-in metronome! One reason I tend to be too fast and sloppy with my playing is that I didn't like my old metronome--it was beepy rather than percussive, and played a high note on the downbeat, which is totally backwards. The rhythm goes oom-pah-pah, not pah-oom-oom!

I intend to post a wide variety of styles for this challenge. Classic rock (Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream") is on the agenda for week 3, and waltz/video game music (Kass's Theme from Breath of the Wild) for Week 4. But there's nothing wrong with playing "jolly tunes," as George calls them. I will work on a few once I've gotten through my backlog of the half-learned or half-forgotten.
Thanks Dan, good to see you in the challenge! Will look forward to how you approach the classic rock tunes.

You can always sing :eek:
That's for the next challenge. I've done some singing with guitar in a band but never felt too confident. Haven't tried it with accordion but feel my intonation is improving with accordion playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back