• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my week 10. I'm going to aim for the 21 tunes, but maybe half will end up in the repertoire and I 'll need another 21 weeks t get them solid. The rest are there to build some technique.

This is a Barrel Organ Parody from Play Accordion.
Good one Jeremy! Going pretty much the same for me, I'm a few weeks behind on recording.

Been giving it some thought and concluded I'm gonna jump ship on this thread....
It's been a bit of fun and I've learned a lot of tunes and recalled very few... So rather than picking simple ditties that i may have a slim chance of knocking out in a week I'm gonna go back to spending my limited time concentrating on quality over quantity...
Appreciated the diversity of other members postings as well as the wisdom of comments...
Thanks... I'll be checking in....

I've kind of un-officially been out for a few weeks. I've been trying to keep up, but it's just not a good time of the year for me. We have basketball, summer camp, dance, weekends at the shore, etc. Maybe I'll try again in the winter... I'm still following along and I'll try to post some more tunes as I learn them.

Thanks Terry and Nick. I hear ya, there is so much going on in these summer months, especially after covid time off from everything. I'm still adding tunes, but probably won't be happy with them till winter.

I'm still hanging in there. A little ahead with Week 11. Many years ago I was going to buy a hand made Cajun accordion from a guy in Louisiana. I once had a Hohner button accordion, but could never get the hang of the push and pull so I sold it and also didn't end up buying the Cajun accordion. So what the heck...I'll try a few Cajun tunes...Jolie Blonde and Basile Breakdown.

Jazz for Week #11. After You've Gone

I've played gypsy swing in a quintet but never by myself, so wasn't sure how I'd keep it interesting. My solution was to learn the intro from Hank Marvin's version (Nunzio Mondia on accordion), which is slow enough for me to coordinate hands, and then sing and improvise over a backing track.

I enjoyed those George and Dan. A friend of mine has been after me to play some Cajun or Zydeco, not sure he knows the difference, and I like Gypsy Swing too. One of these days I hope to be able to have a crack at both styles.

This one took me a bit longer to learn, but I finally was able to get through it well enough to record. There are still some mistakes, but it's the closest that I could get in one take. It another Ruggero Passarini tune.

Busy week. I will have to break my streak. ? Glad to see Nick back in and Jeremy sticking with it!
I like Gypsy Swing too. One of these days I hope to be able to have a crack at both styles.
Sweet Georgia Brown or Swing Gitan would be good entry points

I enjoyed those George and Dan. A friend of mine has been after me to play some Cajun or Zydeco, not sure he knows the difference, and I like Gypsy Swing too. One of these days I hope to be able to have a crack at both styles.
Thanks. I will have too check out Gypsy Swing. I have plenty of sheet music over the years, but no Gypsy Swing. Let's see what happens.

I'll post a few more as I learn them. I am working on putting together a promo video with a guitarist and bassist. We are recording this coming Wed. I've been trying to prepare for that. Mostly, I've been trying to look a bit more exciting on video, but my music career has been all about accompaniment, so being the focus is not natural for me. I've finally got some sections down without always looking at my right hand, although I'm trying to balance that with capturing my best playing, so I'm sure I'll do a lot of peaking.

I also have my boat on the water for the season, so I've been spending weekends on the boat with the family.

I think we're on Week 12. So a few quick stories. I checked out some Gypsy Swing/Jazz and the song Swing Gitan caught my eye/ear. I listened to to some youtubes and can see I'll have some work to do. The rhythm and chords are different than what I am used to.

It's been a while since I played anything in public...my current gigs are in my living room. However, we do have people who visit and I end up playing a few tunes. For example, my wife had a visiting nurse come over. The nurse saw my accordion and asked if I played...she had family members who were musicians. So I played a few tunes for her. Turns out she was born in Brazil, but I didn't know any Sambas by heart so I played Tico Tico Forro style which she was familiar with and liked.

Also, our housekeeper/friend was over Friday to clean the apartment. So I was telling her about the nurse and ended up playing a few tunes while she cleaned. I know she is from Italian heritage so broke out my book of Italian Favorites, which she liked. So that leads up to my 2 tunes for week 12. O' Sole Mio and That's Amore. Several renditions already on youtube so I added mine.

Another local session favourite Wals voor Polle, by Wim Poesen. I don't think my playing is really up to what I am trying to achieve here, but if you don't try you don't learn.

Good efforts George and Nick. I went and looked at my boat.... , what have you got Nick?

Good efforts George and Nick. I went and looked at my boat.... , what have you got Nick?

I have a 2018 Chaparral H20 Sport OB 21. It's a family boat for day cruising in the bay, sandbars, dock and dine, water sports, etc. I'd love to trade it in for a center console that I can take on the ocean, but the industry is so crazy right now that I'm probably going to have to wait 2 years. What boat do you have?

I think we're on Week 12. So a few quick stories. I checked out some Gypsy Swing/Jazz and the song Swing Gitan caught my eye/ear. I listened to to some youtubes and can see I'll have some work to do. The rhythm and chords are different than what I am used to.

It's been a while since I played anything in public...my current gigs are in my living room. However, we do have people who visit and I end up playing a few tunes. For example, my wife had a visiting nurse come over. The nurse saw my accordion and asked if I played...she had family members who were musicians. So I played a few tunes for her. Turns out she was born in Brazil, but I didn't know any Sambas by heart so I played Tico Tico Forro style which she was familiar with and liked.

Also, our housekeeper/friend was over Friday to clean the apartment. So I was telling her about the nurse and ended up playing a few tunes while she cleaned. I know she is from Italian heritage so broke out my book of Italian Favorites, which she liked. So that leads up to my 2 tunes for week 12. O' Sole Mio and That's Amore. Several renditions already on youtube so I added mine.

Very good. Just one thing, That's amore it's not an italian song...;)

Very good. Just one thing, That's amore it's not an italian song...;)
Your right..."That's Amore" wasn't in my book of Italian songs. However, I googled it and came up with the following explanation:
  • One of Dean Martin's most famous songs, "That's Amore" describes love the way they do it in the southern Italy town of Napoli ("Amore" is Italian for "Love"). Filled with passion, the singer compares the feeling to his favorite Italian foods: pizza and pasta fagiole. It's a quirky romantic song poking a bit of fun at Italian stereotypes, something Martin - born Dino Crocetti - had every right to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back