• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 7. Did you know you can play "power chords" by playing adjacent bass buttons on the Stradella system? A favorite trick of mine for rock tunes or sea shanties, of which this is a little of both.

I’m already behind a few tunes, but this thread is GREAT motivation to work on building rep. I’m happy to have a group of people to do it with! I already know that there are some tunes that won’t make it into my permanent rotation, but working on so many tunes will help me be a better player. I won’t make it to 21, but if I can get one new set together, it would be a huge win.

Reactions: Tom
(y) They won't all be as long or as polished as I might like, but I think I can stick to 21 tunes in 21 weeks. Toward the end, I'll record a short set (not all 21) to make sure I keep the early tunes in rotation, and to practice setting up and switching between sounds (User Programs) on the V-Accordion.

Repertoire building is my top priority right now, and having a group of practice buddies is great motivation. There's been a lot of fun tunes shared on this thread, and even when the performance is a little rough, the enthusiasm is always infectious!
You the man, Dan! Wish I had those people to play with here, at my new house. Trying on zoom, but it's not quite the same. Now tht the covid has subsided somewhat, I'm lining up some more volunteer playing which will be good. Been over a year since I've played anywhere to check out the repertoire.

Week 7. Did you know you can play "power chords" by playing adjacent bass buttons on the Stradella system? A favorite trick of mine for rock tunes or sea shanties, of which this is a little of both.
Yup, cool basses!

Bit of gospel again... ?... Seem to have got a bit hooked on this style for a while..
Mitches Moves by Parris Bowens who sadly died of Covid complications earlier this year at a mere 40 years old..
Be careful brothers...

Good work everyone! Didn't make it to recording Southwind last week, will have to go with something easy, and partially known to keep on track.

I learned to play a simplified version of this piece as a child and the melody has been a favourite of mine ever since. I decided to try it out on the accordion from the original score and this is the result. It is played using just a single reed ( clarinet ) in the treble. Hence the volume may be a little low. This is my week 7 contribution.

Week 8. Don't know if I'll make it to week 21, but will take it one week at a time. This Polka always gives me trouble so I thought I would give it another try...a few minor gaffes. Several key changes A flat - B flat - E flat - F - C . I guess I could play it in just F and C to make it easier but something would seem missing with the key changes.

Good job everyone!!! I'm keeping at it, adding a song a week and trying to keep the repertoire up. Not tyring to record, maybe later. I'm adding "I'se the Bye" (Newfoundland) and "Alla Mattina Appena Alzata" (tune source to Bella Ciao) / "Amore Mio non Piangere" medley of Italian workers' songs for weeks 8 and 9.

Looks like new opportunities to volunteer are opening up too, just in time for the new repertoire. I haven't played anywhere since before covid.

A rather stately Cock o' the North from me. This was a first use of block chords in the left hand for me, so it took a little longer. If the English summer lets up, I'll be playing in the garden with the band today, the hall we use isn't open yet.

Catching up with the vídeos. Here's week 7 "Southwind." Someone else posted this fine Irish air so I thought I'd add it.

Tom,
You'll have to update your avatar, so it looks more like you look now?!
Yeah, probably a good idea. ....and I think we're in week 9 now, even if I still haven't posted week 8. Plus I signed up to play once a month at a place for people with less ability than I, so I need to brush up on/add some old sing alongs. Maybe it's time to buckle down on the sight reading at speed before it's too late (see other post on "phase 4.")

Week 8. Don't know if I'll make it to week 21, but will take it one week at a time. This Polka always gives me trouble so I thought I would give it another try...a few minor gaffes. Several key changes A flat - B flat - E flat - F - C . I guess I could play it in just F and C to make it easier but something would seem missing with the key changes.
I really enjoyed that George. You must have used every one of the 41 treble keys on a 41/120 accordion? Is the piece connected with a guy called Gary Meisner who seems to have transcribed a number of musical pieces for accordion and collated the sheet music into book forms, eg The Beatles for Accordion, and if so, is this taken from one of them?

I really enjoyed that George. You must have used every one of the 41 treble keys on a 41/120 accordion? Is the piece connected with a guy called Gary Meisner who seems to have transcribed a number of musical pieces for accordion and collated the sheet music into book forms, eg The Beatles for Accordion, and if so, is this taken from one of them?
Thanks. Actually, my accordion has an extended keyboard...45 keys. I seldom, if ever use them all. The song was written Steve Meisner...a Slovenian/Cleveland style accordion player. Here's Steve playing it...he makes it look easy. It's a tough song for me to play.

Reactions: Tom
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back