• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

21 tunes in 21 weeks......Week #17(all contributors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my entry for week 4, the Maigret theme tune from the UK TV series in the 60s

excuse me interrupting this thread a bit:

wirall,
what accordion is that? what a beauty

looks like one of the super compact Brandoni Kingline's

how do you like it? do they have normal size treble keys?

excuse me interrupting this thread a bit:

wirall,
what accordion is that? what a beauty

looks like one of the super compact Brandoni Kingline's

how do you like it? do they have normal size treble keys?
Hi Jazz,

My accordion is indeed a Brandoni Super Musette model 66, 34 keys in the treble and 96 bass. The treble keys are normal size.

I like the accordion more than I did when I bought it when it was tuned at -20 cents, 0 cents, +20 cents. I had it re-tuned at -5 cents, 0 cents, +16 cents. The theme tune I played was on the MMM register which might have stood out.

Glad you liked the tune. I think Maigret was French so next time maybe the dutch policeman Van der Valk from the 60s? ( Eyelevel )

Kind Regards,
Phil

Great job everyone. This week, I am working on a tune that I've played a bit in the past but was never happy with how it sounded. It's a tune by Massimo Budriesi called Amore Futuro.

Was able to put something together for Week 5. My Canon camera quit working after 11 years so I bought another Canon and it seems to be OK. Produces videos as MP4 files instead of AVI files...don't think it makes any difference? But anyway, I haven't done too much with Dutchman style Polkas so gave it a try with Green is Green Polka. Done with 100% Limex Midi sounds...accordion, drums, tuba, piano...no reeds.

Well played, George: thanks for sharing!??
Very interesting to hear the LIMEX, thanks !?

Two more great tunes to listen to, thanks.

I am away this weekend too, so even more unpolished than usual. I had to put the metronome on to slow the tune down to a speed I can stagger it out.

The Man in the Moon, by Scan Tester, it's a pretty waltz heard quite often in local sessions.

I am excited to listen to all the tunes this week. I will sit down and listen when I have speakers available.

For the next tune, I am going to have to extend the time frame a bit. It might take 2 or 3 weeks to learn, but I was planning on doing Battagliero

Here's a rollicking waltz for Week 5. Music from the Super Nintendo game Chrono Trigger. Clearly meant for accordion!

I like playing by ear and figuring out how to arrange things for accordion. Hard to do that in a week--I'll need another few days for the alternative rock tune I'm working on, but video game music is more manageable because the tunes are a 1-2 minute loop that I've already heard dozens of times while playing the game. Maybe I'll get enough material for a medley. Register switches are still giving me trouble on this one.

Leaving the polkas for a bit to do a few old time / bluegrass / fiddle tunes. Here's one quick chorus of Old Joe Clark to get back in the game....

Last edited:
I've been toying with the theme of Nina Simone's "My Baby Just Cares For Me" as a bass workout.... Needs tad more staccato i know to make swing harder but not sure will ever really work as bass does not truly descent due to stradella voicings....
Dump or Pursue...???
Thanks for indulging my fantasies...

I've been toying with the theme of Nina Simone's "My Baby Just Cares For Me" as a bass workout.... Needs tad more staccato i know to make swing harder but not sure will ever really work as bass does not truly descent due to stradella voicings....
Dump or Pursue...???
Stradella deficit not noticable to me. Bass line has potential, keep at it says I.

....and here's one quick chorus of Cripple Creek, that goes well with Old Joe Clark for a medley. These fiddle tunes are deceptively simple, but have a lot of potential for jamming and variations. I'll call this my week 4 video to get all caught up.

Dump or Pursue...???
Pursue! I think this is great fun. I suppose you could transpose it to avoid the octave break on the loudest reed, but I didn't notice it. My reaction comparing this to the original was "what a great song, I should listen to more jazz."

In fact, I think you you should double down on the stradella system, and hit some of the off-beats with the chord buttons. That would free up your right hand to do something percussive (snap your fingers, slap your thigh, slap the grille, shaker) at the beginning of the song. :cool: Excuse the faltering proof-of-concept, but that does seem to be possible if you move some notes to the counterbass row.

Reactions: Tom
Dump or Pursue...???
Good work Losthobos (y) Next step is to play it all on the left hand :oops:

Good work last week everyone!
I have the a, b and c section of Battagliero worked out. I just have to work on the intro and last section. I gave myself 3 weeks to learn it, but hopefully by this time next week, I will be able to post my first complete run through--then spend another week cleaning it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back