• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

1940s Unknown Accordion

G

grignotines

I purchased this accordion for $60 at a garage sale. Seems to work well enough (I have no experience with accordions at all). The guy said it was from the 40s, though he didnt know much about it as it was from a deceased neighbor.

I forgot to take a picture of the serial number, but its 1608. There are no other markings on the back except for that and Made in Italy.

TomBR

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it's playing ok it looks like a good buy at the price.
The treble couplers suggest that it's three voice LMH.
The buying survival guide at Ike's accordions says
On any of these accordions, the reed sets in the treble can be low medium or high octave also referred to as, Bassoon, Clarinet and Piccolo sets of reeds. These are often referred to in specifications as L, M, and H, for Low Medium and High. An accordion with LMH treble would have one set of Bassoon, one of Clarinet, and one of Piccolo tuned an octave apart. A few accordions have what's referred to as a "half-octave" set which is a perfect fifth above the Clarinet set.
To get "musette tuning", or tremolo, you would need at least two sets in the same range, e.g., MM. So an accordion with LMH 3 sets of treble reeds could not be tuned "musette". This is not to be confused with "French Musette" tuning, which is a technical designation for a particular type of tremolo tuning requiring 3 sets in the same range, e.g., MMM.
Later on in the last half of the 1900's LMMH, LMH, and LM became more popular reed arrangements, than the MM, LMM, and LMMM, but then more players in the 1980's to present started demanding musette capability, so the LMH and LM reed configurations fell out of favor, and are now very rarely made.

Which suggests it's a bit later than 1940's, which I would have guessed from the look.
Tom

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're right about the year, Tom, it looks to be late 50s or 60s; but it's a two voice LM - coupler selection being L, M, or LM.
I dont recognise the make.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From your pic's it looks like a 2 reed LM treble and 4 reed bass student model from 1955 to 1965 . The S.I.L.A. factory in Camerano Italy made and imported models that looked very similar.