For this Covid-19 time: Erbarme Dich (by Bach)
I think in the current times "Erbarme Dich" is the most appropriate song, and it happens to be the Easter period, and all public performances of the Mattheus Passion are cancelled because of the virus.

Here is my attempt on the accordion: https://youtu.be/KNbIRTYG9Yo
It is my arrangement for accordion orchestra (dated a few years back), with seven voices. In the video you only see parts of two voices: the violin solo and the aria (without words obviously).
This is my first video of me playing, so don't be too harsh on how I did. Take pity on me, or "Erbarme Dich"!
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl
exquisit! and nice track suit

were you inspired by DWDD?
(26-03-2020, 02:56 PM)jozz Wrote: exquisit! and nice track suit

were you inspired by DWDD?

I never watch DWDD, so the answer is "no". I made the arrangement in 2014 already, and played it with Accordeana (from Helmond) before, but it was time (certainly considering the circumstances and with Easter coming up) to record it completely by myself.
Beautiful! Nice to see you in a video Smile
Great, thanks. Nice plants too!
(26-03-2020, 05:04 PM)Tom Wrote: Great, thanks.  Nice plants too!

The plants are nothing special, but the floor stand with pole and side arms is one of a kind as I designed and made it myself.
Paul - I have little exposure to this genre of music. I went through a small classical phase a few years ago and listened to a lot of Bach, Mozart and a few others. I really enjoyed the Goldberg Variations. But that's about all I know about this music.

I really enjoyed your playing. It's so foreign to me and what I play and listen to on the accordion that I was fascinated by it. I know that takes tremendous dedication and attention to detail with hours and hours of practice.

Thank you for posting!
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds
(26-03-2020, 07:23 PM)Thomas N Wrote: Paul - I have little exposure to this genre of music. I went through a small classical phase a few years ago and listened to a lot of Bach, Mozart and a few others. I really enjoyed the Goldberg Variations. But that's about all I know about this music.

I really enjoyed your playing. It's so foreign to me and what I play and listen to on the accordion that I was fascinated by it.  I know that takes tremendous dedication and attention to detail with hours and hours of practice.

Thank you for posting!

Thanks for your kind words.
It takes dedication and practice to make Bach sound well on the accordion. But once you know how to play Bach this particular piece does not require hours and hours of practice as it's not technically difficult. It's just difficult to play it so it sounds nice.
This recording did take hours and hours of post-processing with n-Track (which I have used over a decade already to mix and synchronize tracks) but that's not unusual. I already tried making a video of the lead voice and then playing other voices while watching that video, playing with metronome, and just playing by feeling (for something you know extremely well). The result is always the same: hours of post-processing required. But that's because I am a perfectionist. Everything must be very well synchronized and with balanced volume.
Beautiful, Paul. Thank you for posting this.
Yes, Bach, the stream of life.
I managed to get my piano tuner in to tune my piano before the State of Montana basically shut down to “shelter in place”. As soon as he left, I went to the music cabinet and my hands took out the Well-tempered Clavier, for me, the most healing music. I played four preludes and fugues and immediately felt better.
Bugari “Blue 72”, Tiger Combo ‘Cordeon, Iorio Concert Accorgan G Series (electronics removed), Hohner 1974 Melodica (Piano 36)
(26-03-2020, 02:44 PM)debra Wrote: I think in the current times "Erbarme Dich" is the most appropriate song, and it happens to be the Easter period, and all public performances of the Mattheus Passion are cancelled because of the virus.

Here is my attempt on the accordion: https://youtu.be/KNbIRTYG9Yo
It is my arrangement for accordion orchestra (dated a few years back), with seven voices. In the video you only see parts of two voices: the violin solo and the aria (without words obviously).
This is my first video of me playing, so don't be too harsh on how I did. Take pity on me, or "Erbarme Dich"!

Paul,
Wonderful music, wonderful playing. Thank you. With your teaching, performing, arranging, generous sharing of those arrangements, and your repair knowledge and experince, you are an extraordinay gift to the music world.
Jim
(27-03-2020, 12:51 PM)Eddy Yates Wrote: ...
Yes, Bach, the stream of life.
I managed to get my piano tuner in to tune my piano before the State of Montana basically shut down  to “shelter in place”. As soon as he left, I went to the music cabinet and my hands took out the Well-tempered Clavier, for me, the most healing music. I played four preludes and fugues and immediately felt better.

Ah yes, when your piano is well-tempered again, that's a good time to start playing the Well-tempered Clavier, and other music, as you won't be irritated about notes that are out of tune. Whenever I make recordings I often end up being annoyed about a slight tremolo (in LM or MH or LH) somewhere and do some spot-tuning before continuing...
When I was living in New Jersey and didn't have an instrument my landlord let me play their baby-grand piano when they were away. There was one string that didn't hold its tension for very long so I ended up always tuning that one note before playing...
Right, Paul!
When my tuner finished, he said, “Well, today it’s all down from here.” My piano is quite wonderful.
He also said,”I once tuned a little grand, and when I finished, the owner said ‘Where’s the vibrato?’ So I had to go back and detune one string for each note to put the vibrato back!”
Some notes on two of my accordions are out of tune, but with no tuner for 300 miles and my own unwillingness to jump in and learn, I’ve just have to love it as it is.
Bugari “Blue 72”, Tiger Combo ‘Cordeon, Iorio Concert Accorgan G Series (electronics removed), Hohner 1974 Melodica (Piano 36)
(27-03-2020, 07:42 PM)Eddy Yates Wrote: ...
Some notes on two of my accordions are out of tune, but with no tuner for 300 miles and my own unwillingness to jump in and learn, I’ve just have  to love it as it is.
Without any training you are more likely to cause damage than to fix the problems so you are very wise to live with (and love) your accordions the way they are. Once you do manage to visit a repairer/tuner you could politely ask him/her to show you how to fix a few reeds that are out of tune. But even so it would be hard if a reeds that's out of tune is a piccolo reed. It takes training to tune really small reeds without damaging them and without causing voicing (i.e. response) problems.
Very nice, Paul!
Thanks  Smile
(27-03-2020, 09:28 PM)debra Wrote:
(27-03-2020, 07:42 PM)Eddy Yates Wrote: ...
Some notes on two of my accordions are out of tune, but with no tuner for 300 miles and my own unwillingness to jump in and learn, I’ve just have  to love it as it is.
Without any training you are more likely to cause damage than to fix the problems so you are very wise to live with (and love) your accordions the way they are. Once you do manage to visit a repairer/tuner you could politely ask him/her to show you how to fix a few reeds that are out of tune. But even so it would be hard if a reeds that's out of tune is a piccolo reed. It takes training to tune really small reeds without damaging them and without causing voicing (i.e. response) problems.
Exactly my thoughts, Paul. I watched a technician work on an accordion I rented in Portland, Oregon. (paid him for the lesson). I learned a lot about accordions, mainly that I’d never try and tune one!