Hohner Lucia. Bass notes fixing
Hi everyone. I purchased a Hohner Lucia piano accordion a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that some buttons on the left hand are sticky and something moving inside. How can I open a grill of left hand to look what happens?
Hiya

1) Unscrew the feet then the bass shell will be loose.

2) Tilt the 'shell' up at the back and keep tilting until you can lift it off at the front (where the bass buttons are).  You may well have to press the air button at some point.  And tilt it slowly because it's a tight fit on the bass machine but you can edge it over.  The bass strap will be attached to the 'shell'.

The actual bass machine lifts out as one piece with all rods and buttons in place - just release the two wire pins and lift it out.  You can see what's happening without doing that though.

If you need photos I can help: Lucia IV P here.
(05-02-2020, 08:46 PM)Glug Wrote: Hiya

1) Unscrew the feet then the bass shell will be loose.

2) Tilt the 'shell' up at the back and keep tilting until you can lift it off at the front (where the bass buttons are).  You may well have to press the air button at some point.  And tilt it slowly because it's a tight fit on the bass machine but you can edge it over.  The bass strap will be attached to the 'shell'.

The actual bass machine lifts out as one piece with all rods and buttons in place - just release the two wire pins and lift it out.  You can see what's happening without doing that though.

If you need photos I can help: Lucia IV P here.

Yes, it would be great if you send me photos, that show how to do it.
It's quite simple (if you've done it a few times).

1) feet off

2) Tilt shell at the back

3) Remove shell

Wire pin indicated, there's another at the other end.  With the pin out the black bar hinges up to release the bass machine.

4) Bass machine out

Reassembly is just the reverse of the above.
The bass machine has a couple of holes that locate precisely on pins on the back plate so it is always positioned precisely.

The Lucia is very easy to work on compared to other accordions.
I have a Lucia which I have taken apart numerous time and can confirm this method.

Alternatively you can bend the shell to clear the register switches, I did it that way so many times before I figured out to do it the other way.
Wow, that is a nice design. You don't even have to unscrew the hand strap, much less wrangle the buttons out and back into their holes. Never seen that before.
Yep, as you said, a nice design Smile

Unscrewing the feet is the only mechanical action required for getting the bass machine out.
And it sure makes changing the bass pallet facings easier.

I believe Scandalli also developed a removable bass machine sometime around the 60's (this Lucia is 1959) but I haven't had a Scandalli to play with yet.
Can confirm, have refaced pallets lol.  Look mom, no wax!  (The pallets are attached to levers by rubber connectors).

The lack of pins also makes opening and closing the treble section from the bellows pretty swift.

I did have some trouble with the treble cover not closing properly when I first got mine (the mechanisms are finnicky) but after realigning things this is also a breeze.

Not only is this a simple design but the accordion sounds pretty good for being a low cost second hand unit.