Exercises for Improving LH (stradella)
Hi I'm keen to improve my LH playing (stradella). I'm a good player (I've done grade 8), but my LH still lags behind my RH and I get frustrated with not being able to play the LH as fluently as I would like.

I learned using mainly fingers 4 to play the fundamentals and 3 and 2 to play chords. I've asked a couple of very good LH players and they've said that they use a mixture of  4 and 3rd finger to play the first 2 rows. They seem to have a flexibility that I would like to achieve

Does anyone know any exercises I could use to develop my LH? I'm a teacher and I'll have some time over the summer to work on this.

Many thanks (in advance).
(12-07-2019, 02:18 PM)Hugh Wrote: Hi I'm keen to improve my LH playing (stradella). I'm a good player (I've done grade 8), but my LH still lags behind my RH and I get frustrated with not being able to play the LH as fluently as I would like.

I learned using mainly fingers 4 to play the fundamentals and 3 and 2 to play chords. I've asked a couple of very good LH players and they've said that they use a mixture of  4 and 3rd finger to play the first 2 rows. They seem to have a flexibility that I would like to achieve

Does anyone know any exercises I could use to develop my LH? I'm a teacher and I'll have some time over the summer to work on this.

Hugh - I would recommend Hanon for the Accordion edited by Charles Nunzio. There are two volumes, and the left hand gets quite the workout. Once you are done with that, I would recommend (the now out of print) Little Czerny for accordion Volume 3. PM me if you are interested in obtaining the Hanon books.

Good luck!
Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, Nunziola LMMH, all PA dry tuned
(12-07-2019, 02:18 PM)Hugh Wrote: Hi I'm keen to improve my LH playing (stradella). I'm a good player (I've done grade 8), but my LH still lags behind my RH and I get frustrated with not being able to play the LH as fluently as I would like.

Hi Hugh,
You will likely get great specific recommendations from experienced members. In the meantime, you can use spare moments when you are away from your instrument to create little exercised to develop flexibility and independence in your left hand fingers. Figure out what you can't do well and devise little exercises to improve that. You can do similar things with your instrument. Relax and take your time.
Best,
Jim
I guess I'd want more information on what you mean by "not being able to play the LH as fluently as I would like". Are there passages in written music that you're having trouble playing? Are you simply looking for more interesting things to do with the LH (fills and such) when playing things yourself (perhaps from leadsheets, etc.)?

Generic exercises certainly have their place, but I think it's usually more helpful to identify very specific trouble spots, diagnose what the problem is, then work on ways to address that problem (which may or may not be an exercise). Rinse and repeat.